Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by abdelghni belfkih <be...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/25 14:29:56 UTC

Hosting a website

Dear,

I'm using a distant tomcat server to host my JSP website via DirectAdmin. I
already have my website worked in my local server ( in Ubuntu 10.10). But,
now i want to host my website in a distant server and i don't know how to do
it or where to put the directories which contains my website.

Please help me solve this problem because I'm a beginner in hosting
websites.

Ur sincerely,

--
Élève Ingénieur en TIC
Option : *Informatique, Réseaux et Systèmes*

Re: Hosting a website

Posted by abdelghni belfkih <be...@gmail.com>.
tks for the clarification

Re: Hosting a website

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Re: Hosting a website

Posted by abdelghni belfkih <be...@gmail.com>.
yeah  thats right!!!

Re: Hosting a website

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 5/25/2011 8:10 PM, abdelghni belfkih wrote:
> I just don't know what to say or how to thank u André.
> But i should say it;thank you so much for the attention u showed for this
> matter and the time u spent to write the email.
>
> I do agreed with u that I didn't make myself clear so that people could help
> me easily. However, my problem is that I'm new to hosting websites and i
> don't know the basics,

Neither do we, except for websites that run under tomcat.

Dave

Re: Hosting a website

Posted by abdelghni belfkih <be...@gmail.com>.
And to give more information, the website is the OpenGTS project if you knew
it. It's an open source tracking GPS application.

Re: Hosting a website

Posted by abdelghni belfkih <be...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hosting a website

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
abdelghni belfkih wrote:
> [...]

   - call up the Manager application on the remote server
      (http://remoteserver.company.com:port/manager/html)
   - on that page, there is a section "WAR file to deploy", that you can use to upload
     your web application ".war" file, and deploy it right away.

and you would not even need to use this "DirectAdmin" at all.

But you did not tell us any of that, and just asked us about DirectAdmin.

If you are not in the simple case above, then moving one or more applications from server1
to server2 will probably be more complicated, and
1) will most probably involve copying files from the one to the other. So you should find
out (from your ISP support people, or from some "DirectAdmin" support people) how this works
2) may involve editing/changing some Tomcat configuration files on the remote server, so
you should also find out how to do that.
3) will probably involve restarting Tomcat on the remote server, so you should also find
out how to do that

Re: Hosting a website

Posted by abdelghni belfkih <be...@gmail.com>.
First, I assure you that tomcat is already installed in that server, because
i have seen the default page which shows that tomcat is successfully
installed and works.
But, my issue isn't with tomcat itself but with transferring a website from
a local server ( Ubuntu 10.10) to a distant and a payable server via
DirectAdmin.

Anyway i don't want to bother you with that problem since i have been told
that it dosn't concern this mailing list.

Thanks body

Re: Hosting a website

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Re: Hosting a website