Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Jean-Philippe Courson <ju...@apache.org> on 2002/12/17 11:33:54 UTC

Re: Slide logging, usage of servlet filters and Servlet_23 requiremen t

Hi Peter,

> I'm planning to remove logging from the Slide servlet (mainly coded in the
> service() method of org.apache.slide.webdav.WebdavServlet.java) and provide
> adecuate servlet filters instead.
>
> The first filter (which is already running on my PC :) ) would be
> org.apache.slide.webdav.filter.LogFilter.java which would log one line per
> request. It wouldn't make use of Log4J. By means of init-param's in web.xml
> (where the filters have to be installed) the following could be configured:
>
> a) logFormat (e.g.
>    "[%t], [%p], %m, %s \"%l\", %i, %u"
>    where t=thread, p=principal, m=method, s=status, l=long-message,
> i=time-elapsed, u=uri
>    would yield log lines of the form
>    [Thread-4], [localhost/xdav], CHECKOUT, 405 "Method Not Allowed", 156 ms,
> /mycoll/a.xml)
>
> b) output (e.g. console, servlet log file, custom file)
>
> Another filter would replace the detailed XML-based request/response logging
> once added by Hardy Kiefer.
>
> Maybe there are ideas for more useful filters to deliver with Slide?
>
> Comments, suggestions, objections?

This would be cleaner as it is now : Log code would be pluggable.

> Also, I would like make Servlet 2.3 a prerequisite for Slide 2.0. We could
> remove the servlet22/servlet23 handling from build.xml and get rid of the
> nasty (not compiling) sources named *22.java, *23.java. So, it would mean
> that Slide 2.0 requires Tomcat 4.x.
>
> Comments, suggestions, objections?

Tomcat 4.x seems to be quite stable now and has much better performances
than older so I think it is not a big problem to make it a prerequisite,
considering that only few people seems to use Tomcat 3.x.
But are latest stable versions of other servlet containers (JBoss,
Weblogic) implementing Servlet API 2.3 ?

Regards

Jp