Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Mark Lowe <me...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/27 09:43:23 UTC

[shale] request/flash scope

After trying shale out over the last few months it does seem to add
enough features to make even using the refence implemention of jsf 1.1
a real option for production applications. The only thing stopping me
is the issue of being forced to use session scope for backing beans.

I saw that the evaluation of this RoR style flash scope going on, and
I'm curious what sort of use cases are being considered.

If it were along the lines of

<managed-bean-scope>flash</managed-bean-scope>

or adf style

<managed-bean-scope>process</managed-bean-scope>

the world would indeed be a better place.

I'm not bright enough to have worked it out, but wouldn't something
like an implementation of javax.faces.context.FacesContextFactory be
along the right lines?

I've seen the tag based solution to this, but to my mind it seems to
defeat the object. Having all tha stuff in the jsp just seems wrong
(not that thats a criticism while I've not a better solution).

Mark