Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2003/06/18 11:50:06 UTC

[RT] Publication configuration

Hi Lenya developers,

currently, the authoring and live directories, the sitetree
file etc. are configurable in the AntTask buildfile.
This raises two questions:

a) Do we really need this flexibility? If some these paths were
    constants, we could simplify many interfaces. E.g., it would
    be possible to obtain a sitetree from the publication using

    SiteTree tree
        = publication.getSiteTree(Publication.AUTHORING_AREA);

b) Should all paths be configured in the buildfile or is
    it better to go back to a task-independent configuration?

I see two general configuration approaches:

(1) "Re-vitalizing" the deprecated (publishing) environment as
     a central configuration point.
     + configuration hidden from the tasks
     + XML configuration file (could easily be GUI-supported)
     - additional class
     - less flexible: adding / changing parameters would
       require changing the configuration classes and the
       classes which use it

(2) Passing parameters from tasks to the classes they use.
     + stronger coupling of tasks and their parameters
     + changing / adding parameters used by single tasks has
       only local effects
     - more parameter passing
     - more complicated interfaces

Certainly there are some parameters that fit rather in approach
(1), e.g., the authoring and live directories and the sitetree
location. But some parameters are used by only a few tasks (e.g.
the revision controller and the static HTML exporter) and
therefore should be configured using solution (2).

If we can agree on a subset of parameters that are integral
parts of a publication and independent of certain tasks, we
could provide a central configuration for them. But is this
worth the effort?

What do you think?

Andreas

Re: [RT] Publication configuration

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Christian Egli wrote:

> So what I'd like to suggest is for the case of the site tree to have
> the path to the xml file be a constant within the area. This would
> make it very easy to access the site tree without having to know that
> actual file name and hardcode it all over the place.

+1  (obviously)

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
Wyona Ltd.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya

Re: [RT] Publication configuration

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Christian Egli wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> writes:
>

>>currently, the authoring and live directories, the sitetree
>>file etc. are configurable in the AntTask buildfile.
>>This raises two questions:
>>
>>a) Do we really need this flexibility? If some these paths were
>>    constants, we could simplify many interfaces. E.g., it would
>>    be possible to obtain a sitetree from the publication using
>>
>>    SiteTree tree
>>        = publication.getSiteTree(Publication.AUTHORING_AREA);
>

> We are currently dealing with exactly this problem when trying to
> access the tree.
>
> So what I'd like to suggest is for the case of the site tree to have
> the path to the xml file be a constant within the area.

+1 having the sitetree at a certain location

Thanks

Michael

--
Michael Wechner

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> writes:

> currently, the authoring and live directories, the sitetree
> file etc. are configurable in the AntTask buildfile.
> This raises two questions:
>
> a) Do we really need this flexibility? If some these paths were
>     constants, we could simplify many interfaces. E.g., it would
>     be possible to obtain a sitetree from the publication using
>
>     SiteTree tree
>         = publication.getSiteTree(Publication.AUTHORING_AREA);

We are currently dealing with exactly this problem when trying to
access the tree.

So what I'd like to suggest is for the case of the site tree to have
the path to the xml file be a constant within the area. This would
make it very easy to access the site tree without having to know that
actual file name and hardcode it all over the place.

So the Publication gets a new getter for the sitetree of a given area
as follows:

    SiteTree getSiteTree(String area)

The sitetree API is extended with a new contructor as follows:

    public DefaultSiteTree(Publication pub, String area)

the API

    public DefaultSiteTree(File treefile)

should then probably be deprecated.

--
Christian Egli       christian.egli@wyona.com   +41 1 272 9161
                     Wyona AG, Hardstrasse 219, CH-8005 Zurich

RE: [RT] Publication configuration

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

a) Do we really need this flexibility? If some these paths were
    constants, we could simplify many interfaces. E.g., it would
    be possible to obtain a sitetree from the publication using

    SiteTree tree
        = publication.getSiteTree(Publication.AUTHORING_AREA);
<<

i'd rather have rigidity were it doesn't hurt to simplify the
architecture. +1 to make these paths requirements.