Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Wa...@toyota-europe.com on 2014/05/08 14:54:16 UTC

Re: Tomcat and "Chunked Transfer-Encoding"

Hi,

We still have this issue open. The problem is happening from time to time.
I have some wireshark logging. can this help you to further investigate?

Walter

From:   Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>
To:     Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>,
Date:   03/02/2014 19:58
Subject:        Re: Tomcat and "Chunked Transfer-Encoding"

2014-02-03 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
> On 03/02/2014 12:46, Walter.Heestermans@toyota-europe.com wrote:
>> I can't reproduce it with simple web application, it happens in one of
our
>> applications, SDL WorldServer application which we bought for
>> translations. Even there the issue is random.

1. When response mixups happen, the first thing I would recommend is
to set the following system property (you can add it to
catalina.properties file):

apache.catalina.connector.RECYCLE_FACADES=true

Documentation:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/systemprops.html#Security

That will make your configuration more secure (at price of some
performance) and will raise the chances that meddling with
requests/response objects outside of their lifecycle would not go
unnoticed.

Then look for any odd messages in the log files. E.g. attempts to write to
closed stream, or an IllegalStateException, etc

A known culprit is javax.imageio.ImageIO API
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/KnownIssues#ImageIOIssues

So far it looks like an application issue, as Mark mentioned.

2. The convention on this mailing list is to do not top-post.
http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users
-> 6.

3. What connector implementation are you using?

HTTP/AJP?
BIO/NIO/APR?

I guess that you use HTTP and are behind an HTTP proxy.

4. Do you use any Asynchronous IO, Comet, WebSockets (e.g. via
Atmosphere framework)?

5. In your traffic snippet,
does that HTML response match the request, or a previous request?

What generates those "scrollTo"  script fragments?

6. Note that you can configure AccessLogValve to log your thread name
(%I),
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/valve.html

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

This e-mail may contain confidential information.
If you are not an addressee or otherwise authorised to receive this message, you should not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this e-mail.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please inform the sender promptly and delete this message and any attachments immediately.