Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Brolin Empey <br...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/03 03:12:37 UTC

credit buttons missing from footer of static pages 3 levels deep

Hello,

I have a problem with a small Forrest site:  Forrest does not include
the credit buttons in the footer of the static HTML page when the page
is 3 levels below the site root in the directory tree.

The credit buttons *are* included in the static page when the page is
less than 3 levels from the site root.  There are no pages more than 3
levels deep, so I do not know what happens in that case.

I compared the xdocs source of a page that has the credit buttons to
the source of a page that is missing the credit buttons, but did not
notice any differences.  Both pages are using the same XML doctype:

<!DOCTYPE document PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation V2.0//EN"
"http://forrest.apache.org/dtd/document-v20.dtd">

The last thread I started has my configuration information.  In short,
I am using Forrest v0.7 with java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.10 on Linux.  The
site with the problem uses the pelt skin.

Note that this problem occurs with a different site than the one I was
working with in my previous thread.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brolin

Re: credit buttons missing from footer of static pages 3 levels deep

Posted by Brolin Empey <br...@gmail.com>.
On 4/3/07, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
> This is by design.
>
> It's not actually about how many levels there are. Credits are only
> displayed on "index.html" pages, regardless of their depth in the
> document tree.

That makes sense now.  I never noticed that the filenames of the pages
I was comparing were different.

I think I will just leave the credits as they are, since this is not a
problem, just a small inconsistency (until one notices the filenames
are different :)) of the site's appearance.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Brolin Empey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with a small Forrest site:  Forrest does not include
> the credit buttons in the footer of the static HTML page when the page
> is 3 levels below the site root in the directory tree.

> Any ideas?

This is by design.

It's not actually about how many levels there are. Credits are only
displayed on "index.html" pages, regardless of their depth in the
document tree.

Ideally this should be customisable in skinconf.xml.

Take a look in
FORREST_HOME/main\webapp\skins\pelt\xslt\html\site-to-xhtml.xsl (that's
SVN head, if you are on 0.7 it is the same path but site2xhtml.xsl) and
search for

<xsl:if test="$filename = 'index.html' and $config/credits">

If you are willing to make this customisable we'd welcome a patch. For a
method of doing this customisation search the same file for

<xsl:if test="$config/motd">

which uses a pattern defined in sinconf to decide when the MOTD should
be displayed.

We'd also welcome a patch to our docs at
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/your-project.html to make this clearer.

Ross