Posted to api@directory.apache.org by Richard Sand <rs...@idfconnect.com> on 2013/07/24 21:18:44 UTC

fixing the "5 minute example" page

Hi all - this is the first time I’m using the Apache DS API, migrating over from the JNDI and Netscape libraries.

The "5 minute example" page has several errors on it, I'm guessing because it hasn't been updated for the 2.0 API.

Here's what I've found (not trying to nitpick, but it's probably worth fixing now - just that whole "first impression" notion...)

The connection example is incorrect on how to create an LdapConnection, since that is an interface. It should instead read:

     LdapConnection connection = new LdapNetworkConnection( "localhost", 389 );

Also the search method returns a different object now:

        EntryCursor cursor = connection.search("ou=system", "(objectclass=*)", SearchScope.ONELEVEL, "*");

        while (cursor.next()) {
            Entry nextEntry = cursor.get();
            // process the entry...
        }

Best regards,

Richard

Re: fixing the "5 minute example" page

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Many thanks, Richard !

Page ficed (will probably take a few minutes to be visible as the
mirrors get to be updated too).

We really appreciated those corrections !

Le 7/24/13 9:18 PM, Richard Sand a écrit :
> Hi all - this is the first time I’m using the Apache DS API, migrating over from the JNDI and Netscape libraries.
>
> The "5 minute example" page has several errors on it, I'm guessing because it hasn't been updated for the 2.0 API.
>
> Here's what I've found (not trying to nitpick, but it's probably worth fixing now - just that whole "first impression" notion...)
>
> The connection example is incorrect on how to create an LdapConnection, since that is an interface. It should instead read:
>
>      LdapConnection connection = new LdapNetworkConnection( "localhost", 389 );
>
> Also the search method returns a different object now:
>
>         EntryCursor cursor = connection.search("ou=system", "(objectclass=*)", SearchScope.ONELEVEL, "*");
>
>         while (cursor.next()) {
>             Entry nextEntry = cursor.get();
>             // process the entry...
>         }