Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Michael Prescott <mp...@exchangesolutions.com> on 2007/01/03 20:43:39 UTC

Tapestry 4.0 and Expires header on images

Is there a way to control the Expires header on assets that aren't
served out of .jar files?  We're using Tapestry 4.0 and can't upgrade in
the immediate future.

It would be lovely if there was some way to do this in the <asset>
definition, but that's just me wishing. :-)

The way Tapestry 4.0 inserts a hash into the URL of jarred assets lets
is apply Expires headers, which would be one way to get the desired
effect.  Any way to turn this on for assets served out of the webroot?
Or would I need to repackage them?

I'm a novice with Tapestry's relationship with hivemind, but I imagine
that there'd be a way, say, to override the behavior of the asset
service by configuring it to use a subclass of my own devising.

There are blanket approaches, like mod_expires or a servlet filter, but
I'm wondering if there's something a little neater.  The servlet filter
looks like a decent approach, since that's bundled into the .war and
doesn't affect the deployment environment requirements.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

Michael Prescott
direct: 416.646.7062

main: 416.646.7000
fax: 416.646.7050

Exchange Solutions Inc.
250 Yonge Street, 18th Floor
Toronto, ON M5B 2L7
www.exchangesolutions.com

RE: Tapestry 4.0 and Expires header on images

Posted by Ma...@bmw.ch.
I think context-Assets are not served by the tapestry servlet at all,
but by your containers default file-servlet. You may be able to
configure this or maybe not. For Tomcat, at least, it's not so easy, if
I remember correctly.