Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by se...@gmail.com on 2008/04/09 19:11:09 UTC

memory usage of specific webapp with jmx

Hi,

Can I see the memory usage of the web application  deployed in Tomcat with JMX.
By now I can connect to Tomcat with jconsole and see the summary memory size.
I hope that I can also see the size of the web application without
writing Java code.
I think so because web application classes are loaded with
WebClassLoader so the WebClassLoader
can count memory size per application.

Best regards,

RE: memory usage of specific webapp with jmx

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: sed.nivo@gmail.com [mailto:sed.nivo@gmail.com]
> Subject: memory usage of specific webapp with jmx
>
> I hope that I can also see the size of the web application
> without writing Java code.

Nope, and probably not even by writing Java code.

> I think so because web application classes are loaded with
> WebClassLoader so the WebClassLoader can count memory size
> per application.

No, because the predominant use of memory is objects allocated on the
Java heap, which is shared by everything running in that JVM, regardless
of what loaded it.

You can remove all applications other than the one of interest, put a
load on it with whatever testing tools you use, and watch the effect on
the heap.  You could also use a profiler to see where objects are being
created, and try to tie that back to specific applications.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.