Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2014/04/28 17:47:28 UTC

[LANG] Algorithm for fuzzy string matching

Hi all,

we have a nice PR for StringUtils at github:
https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/20

It adds a new string matching algorithm to StringUtils, that calculates a
score for the similarity between to strings. This kind of fuzzy matching is
known from editors like Sublime Text, Text Mate or Atom.

I think this is a very useful features, but as the contributor points out,
the is no scientific paper or thesis that provides a reference for the
implementation. So this is not _the one_ implementation of a fuzzy string
matching score, like our implementations of the Levenshtein or Jaro-Winkler
algorithms.

So before adding this, I'd like to hear how others feel about this feature.

Regards,
Benedikt

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/

Re: [LANG] Algorithm for fuzzy string matching

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Since nobody had objections against adding this, I'll apply this patch.

Benedikt