Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> on 2007/03/08 00:39:08 UTC

[VOTE] Versioning proposal.

[ ] Vote to accept the following versioning proposal.

Gee, my first call for a vote :)

I have a proposal that I think satisfies Apache, Fedora (and RPM
generally), the desire to show we're nearing release and the desire to
avoid choosing version numbers at random.

Apache considers M numbers to be pre-release indicators, much like alpha
or beta. So we can say qpid is version 1.0 pre-release M2, meaning we're
approaching the real 1.0 release, and this is the second incubator
pre-release.

the release field providing we give RPM a little help to figure out the
order, so it would be:
  qpid-1.0-0.2.incubating-M2
Which means qpid version 1.0, second incubator pre-release (the extra
0.2 is so RPM doesn't have to parse "incubating-M2")

When we get to the real 1.0 release the RPM becomes:
 qpid-1.0-1

Meaning: qpid 1.0 first real release. RPM will consider this newer than
all the 1.0-0.blah incubator releases.

Cheers,
Alan.

Re: [VOTE] Versioning proposal.

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
I guess I should say something like

+ 1.0-0.0

Got to admit, deciding on version numbering schemes isn't one of those
things that gets me excited... the reasoning seems good to me (aiming for a
1.0 release) let's see if anyone has any objections...

-- Rob

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 3/12/07, Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Rajith Attapattu wrote:
> > same with me.
> > My original email about the whole thing was to make the RPM thingy
> > more easy
> > and also to make a more smooth transition to a 1.0 release.
> > I guess we probably have to wait till we graduate to shake off that
> > "incubating" part from the version name. (it looks ugly)
> >
> > I agree with Alans propsal until we graduate, and then we can do a
> > bunch of
> > 0.9x releases culminating in a 1.0 release.
> My proposal was to use 1.0-0.n.incubating-Mn for the nth incubator
> pre-release and 1.0-1 for our first "real" 1.0 out-of-incubator
> release.  Do you think we won't be ready for a 1.0 release at the point
> we leave the incubator?

Ok I got it.
I think atleast on the java side we are ready to do a real 1.0 release when
we graduate.
I am sure the others (c+++,python, ruby) will be ready too.

Rajith

Here's the proposal again:

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
same with me.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
Rupert Smith wrote:
> [+1] So in maven its, 1.0-0.2.incubating-M2-SNAPSHOT (now thats a
> catchy version number!)

Maven can just use 1.0.incubating-M2. The extra -0.2 is a redundant
repetition of the 2 from M2 to help RPM get version comparisons right,
we don't have to inflict it everywhere.

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.