Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by ac...@apache.org on 2005/05/07 22:11:29 UTC

Sun JRL

Hi,

http://java.net/jrl.html - Java Research License

Sun's new JRL license includes a "residual knowlege" clause.  It appears
as if I could look at the code to JDK 6.0, learn and then use what I've
learned and go work on Mono if I wanted (provided there weren't patents
involved).  Meaning there isnt' any real long term obligation involved
in this license.  If this interpretation correct?

I've always wanted to get involved in fixing a few irks with Java but
this issue always held me up as I have higher Virtual Machine
aspirations in my future.

-Andy

Re: Sun JRL

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
My sense is that your analysis is correct; I seem to recall that being
promoted as one of the advantages to this new license over SCSL.

 	Brian

On Sat, 7 May 2005 acoliver@apache.org wrote:
> http://java.net/jrl.html - Java Research License
>
> Sun's new JRL license includes a "residual knowlege" clause.  It appears as
> if I could look at the code to JDK 6.0, learn and then use what I've learned
> and go work on Mono if I wanted (provided there weren't patents involved).
> Meaning there isnt' any real long term obligation involved in this license.
> If this interpretation correct?
>
> I've always wanted to get involved in fixing a few irks with Java but this
> issue always held me up as I have higher Virtual Machine aspirations in my
> future.
>
> -Andy

Re: Sun JRL

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
Thanks for clearing it up.  That is a bummer.  I'm glad I'm paranoid.  I
never looked because I assumed there
was some kind of catch.

-Andy

Re: Sun JRL

Posted by Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>.
"Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> wrote on 05/12/2005 02:58:54 PM:
> > Notice that the residuals clause does not extend to copyrights.
> > You can study Sun's source code under the JRL and then turn around
> > and write your own implementation relying solely on what you
> > remember, and you're covered for any potential trade secrets that
> > Sun might have had.  However, if your code turns out to be
> > "substantially similar" (an intentionally vague legal standard),
> > then Sun might have a copyright claim that it can assert.  You need
> > to make sure that your code is not substantially similiar.  How one
> > does that without constantly referring to the code that you're
> > trying not to copy without looking like you're trying to copy
> > without getting caught is an interesting question.
>
> How is this any different than looking at any other copyrighted
> material for which you don't have a license to freely copy?

Not much different.  If you were writing a novel about a young boy who was
going to a wizarding school you probably shouldn't be using Harry Potter
as your reference material.

Re: Sun JRL

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 9, 2005, at 10:39 AM, Jeffrey Thompson wrote:

> Well, it depends on whether you would call this "a catch".
>
> The residual knowledge clause addresses any confidential
> information that the source code would contain.  The exact words
> are "You may use any information in intangible form that you
> remember after accessing the Technology, except when such use
> violates Sun's copyrights or patent rights."

Which is far more liberal than others addressing confidential
information that I've seen :)

> Notice that the residuals clause does not extend to copyrights.
> You can study Sun's source code under the JRL and then turn around
> and write your own implementation relying solely on what you
> remember, and you're covered for any potential trade secrets that
> Sun might have had.  However, if your code turns out to be
> "substantially similar" (an intentionally vague legal standard),
> then Sun might have a copyright claim that it can assert.  You need
> to make sure that your code is not substantially similiar.  How one
> does that without constantly referring to the code that you're
> trying not to copy without looking like you're trying to copy
> without getting caught is an interesting question.

How is this any different than looking at any other copyrighted
material for which you don't have a license to freely copy?

> Sun probably didn't intend this result.  What they probably meant
> was that as long as you aren't making literal copies of material
> portions of their source code, you're covered by the residuals
> clause.  If that's the case, I think their desire for brevity got
> in the way of clarity.  They would need to expand that section a
> bit to make it clear that the residuals license covered copyright
> issues as well as long as you didn't literally copy large amounts
> of code.

As part of the Harmony prep, issues around this have been identified,
and I am working to get the conversation going between Sun and the
larger community on this issue.  I hope we all want the same thing here.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Sun JRL

Posted by Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>.