Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> on 2019/08/05 08:41:42 UTC

[Lazy Consensus] Changing the default reporter tool

Hi folks,
I would like to change the default reporter.a.o[1] to be the new wizard
tool[2]. I think it's a good overall improvement and honestly do not see
any downsides to switching. So I'm calling a lazy consensus "vote" for
this change. If there are people that strongly prefer the old one,
please do let me know, and please elaborate on what you'd like to see
changed in the new tool for it to become the default.

I'll let this run for a few days and see if anyone objects :)

With regards,
Daniel.

[1] https://reporter.apache.org/
[2] https://reporter.apache.org/wizard/

Re: [Lazy Consensus] Changing the default reporter tool

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 8/5/19 10:53 AM, Myrle Krantz wrote:
> Since it's the PMC chairs who use this, I'd much prefer you put this call
> for consensus up over on board@.

mkay, let's do both! :D

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Happy to help somewhere. If slack counts is something you see useful to track, I'd be happy to whip up a Kibble scanner plugin for Slack, if that makes sense?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Just one more suggestion - perhaps Slack metrics would make sense as well for the community health of a project?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 8/6/19 5:29 PM, Jan Høydahl wrote:
> This was for Lucene, https://reporter.apache.org/wizard/statistics?lucene

Turns out the age was being alphasorted, not numbersorted >_<. Fixed,
thanks for reporting!

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Daniel,

There seems to be an issue with email stats
Just have checked https://reporter.apache.org/wizard/statistics?openmeetings
There are 3 different charts labeled the same user@ (suspect one should be
dev@ and one private@) ...

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 17:00, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 8/6/19 9:08 AM, Christopher wrote:
> >
> > The score may be arbitrary, but it's still useful to view
> > upward/downward trends of the score in the context of a single
> > project.... not so useful to compare to other projects.
> >

> I've added it to the statistics page (see below).
>

> > Yes, that's basically what I'm getting at. As far as I can tell,
> > https://reporter.apache.org is useful to 3 groups of people:
> >
> > 1. PMC Chairs preparing board reports (the bottom "Report template"
> section)
> > 2. Release managers (recording new releases -- probably the most
> > frequent visitors)
> > 3. Viewing of the informational content (charts, graphs, list of
> > historical releases, stats, etc., to include use of "Members-only
> > Quick-nav" button)
> >
> > As far as I can tell, the wizard is only a substitute for the "Report
> > template" section of the site, satisfying the first use case, but not
> > the other two. The second use case is easily satisfied with a few
> > links ("Add a release", "Fetch releases from JIRA", "Manage release
> > versions", or some equivalent set). The third use case seems to be the
> > focus of the current site, based on the layout, and the significant
> > space the different information takes up (colorful charts and fonts,
> > use of italics and bold, section headers to this various information).
> > It is this third use case that seems at greatest risk of being lost if
> > the site is replaced by the wizard (as is). If the wizard view were to
> > add these things, or if they were available on whimsy, then I think it
> > could replace the current view. But if the wizard were to replace the
> > site right now, it looks like those features would simply go away.
> >

> I can relate to this, and see how reporter.a.o is also a place for
> general curiousness :) So I've added a more detailed stats page for each
> project, and put links to both the editor and the stats page on the
> front page of the wizard.
>
> New stats page looks like this:
> https://reporter.apache.org/wizard/statistics?beam
>
> With regards,
> Daniel.

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [Lazy Consensus] Changing the default reporter tool

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 5:54 PM Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:

> The new reporter wizard helps folks create a board report, but it
> doesn't seem to have any of the other features of the current
> reporeter.a.o tool. For example, helping them to manage recorded
> releases (https://reporter.apache.org/addrelease.html?<tlp>), view
> community health score (https://reporter.apache.org/chi.py#<tlp>),
> quickly view JIRA stats and PMC/committer changes, etc.
>
> Are all of those features available elsewhere, or will they be
> replaced by the new tool?

That was the exactly thing that came to mind, how about the actual
widget be an action available from the ui where then it start the
wizard to guide the creation of the report ?

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

Re: [Lazy Consensus] Changing the default reporter tool

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.