Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Eric Wittle <er...@wittle.net> on 2004/06/25 07:58:51 UTC

Proposed fix for NewRSSPortlet

I tried using the NewRSSPortlet to point to the RSS feed from my blog.
The description tag in the RSS field from the blog contains escaped HTML
markup, which (based on my brief research) should be legal in RSS 0.92.
The NewRSSPortlet as distributed in jetspeed 1.5 passes the escaped
markup on to the browser, so the user sees the HTML tags.

The solution is to unescape the HTML. The way I've done this so far is
to swap out commons-lang-1.0.jar for commons-lang-2.0.jar and use
StringEscapeUtils.unescapeHtml(). If there is a less disruptive way of
doing this, please let me know.

I'd like to know:

1) Does this seem like a generally useful fix?
2) What documentation/testing/etc. should I provide, and to whom, to get
this into the Jetspeed core?

Thanks,

-Eric Wittle
 ericw at wittle.net

P.S. I'm working with Jetspeed in Eclipse. Is there any interest in
clearing up the ~600 warnings that get displayed in the Problems tab?
I'd be happy to take a swing at this if people think it would be useful.

Re: Proposed fix for NewRSSPortlet

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Jun 24, 2004, at 10:58 PM, Eric Wittle wrote:

> I tried using the NewRSSPortlet to point to the RSS feed from my blog.
> The description tag in the RSS field from the blog contains escaped
> HTML markup, which (based on my brief research) should be legal in RSS
> 0.92. The NewRSSPortlet as distributed in jetspeed 1.5 passes the
> escaped markup on to the browser, so the user sees the HTML tags.
>
> The solution is to unescape the HTML. The way I've done this so far is
> to swap out commons-lang-1.0.jar for commons-lang-2.0.jar and use
> StringEscapeUtils.unescapeHtml(). If there is a less disruptive way of
> doing this, please let me know.

The CVS head is at commons-lang 2.0

> I'd like to know:
>
> 1) Does this seem like a generally useful fix?
Yes, please send a patch
Please make sure to create your patch against the latest CVS head

> 2) What documentation/testing/etc. should I provide, and to whom, to
> get this into the Jetspeed core?

Make a JIRA issue, document the problem there, and attach a patch

> Thanks,
>
> -Eric Wittle
> ericw at wittle.net
>
> P.S. I'm working with Jetspeed in Eclipse. Is there any interest in
> clearing up the ~600 warnings that get displayed in the Problems tab?
> I'd be happy to take a swing at this if people think it would be
> useful.

If you want to clean it up, take the same approach as described above,
open a JIRA issue, attach a patch
This could be a big one...

--
David Sean Taylor