Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by "Ramkumar R. Aiyengar" <an...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/05 13:46:06 UTC

Solr connection/socket timeouts

Currently HttpShardHandlerFactory and DUH2 set socket and connection
timeouts to unlimited by default. Should there be some finite default
instead? With the current defaults, a machine crash for example will lead
to requests in progress hang and occupy threads till the process is shut
down, which doesn't seem desirable. These are all configurable, we could
set some default (60s for conn, 600s for socket?), let people know and have
them up the limits if they really need it..

Thoughts?

Re: Solr connection/socket timeouts

Posted by "Ramkumar R. Aiyengar" <an...@gmail.com>.
I agree we need conservative defaults. I thought 10 mins is reasonable.
Obviously there will be longer requests, but that's where I would have
thought notice in CHANGES.txt would hopefully be good enough, you are
already looking at expert cases in such cases. If some other number is more
reasonable, that's fine, just that infinity isn't reasonable and will
eventually bite people :-) Will raise a JIRA..