Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by chris markiewicz <cm...@commnav.com> on 2001/03/02 20:38:01 UTC

classpath issue

hello

concerning the "Namespace not supported by SAXParser" error...we all know
that the resolution is to juggle the classpath so that the correct Xerces
and Xalan jars appear first.

this solution causes a deployment issue, doesn't it?  in tomcat or jrun, you
have to explicitly include the WEB-INF/lib directory in the classpath.
however this means that EVERY application under that servlet engine is going
to include that particular application's WEB-INF/lib directory, right?

so hypothetically if i have two applications in tomcat...one that needs the
jaxp.jar to appear first and another that needs xerces 1.1.3 to appear
frist, i'm screwed.

what am i missing?  is this an issue with the servlet engine spec?  it feels
that way to me...if the order of the classpath is important, then each
application should have its own independent classpath that can be explicitly
set.

thanks
chris

Re: classpath issue

Posted by Matthew Denner <ma...@evtechnology.com>.
chris markiewicz wrote:

> what am i missing?  is this an issue with the servlet engine spec?  it feels
> that way to me...if the order of the classpath is important, then each
> application should have its own independent classpath that can be explicitly
> set.

you'll be happy to hear that after many (many) emails from me and many other
people that tomcat 3.3 has got the classloading issues correct.  all
environments you deploy to (servlet, EJB or whatever) should guarantee that
whatever classes you deploy will get used first (rather than what may be
lying round on the classpath).  so, yes, it is a container issue.

Sessami is a trademark of Escape Velocity Technology Mobile Services Limited.
All information contained in this e-mail is confidential and for the use of
the addressee only.  If you receive this message in error please notify.