Posted to user@predictionio.apache.org by Saarthak Chandra <ch...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/13 20:36:01 UTC

Universal Recommender : seasonality of product

Hi,

Is there a way to add seasonality of products:
eg: If I buy a table now, I would not want to recommend tables again for
the next year.

So how could I include this seasonality into making recommendations?

Thanks.
--
Saarthak Chandra,
Masters in Computer Science,

Re: Universal Recommender : seasonality of product

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
You can’t keep data forever or your storage needs will grow without bounds. At some point you will need to trim it to maintain a moving window in time. Some E-Com applications maintain a year of data if their items have relatively long lifetimes in the catalog.

You may need to use the db-cleaner template to trim your data to whatever amount you want to keep. This time-window defines the expiration of the blacklist.

https://github.com/actionml/db-cleaner

On Sep 13, 2017, at 1:50 PM, Saarthak Chandra <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Pat,

Thank you for the reply.
So what do we mean when we say "ages out of the data"?

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Pat Ferrel <pat@occamsmachete.com <ma...@occamsmachete.com>> wrote:
This is done with blacklisting. The default config blacklists all items in the training data that the users has taken the primary event on. So if your primary event is “buy” then once a user has bought a particular table they will not be recommended that table again until the “buy” event ages out of the data. If you maintain 1 year of data, then a year after the user bought the particular table they might get a recommendation for it. In other words the blacklist expires with the last event in the input data.

Posted by Saarthak Chandra <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pat,