Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Jorg Heymans <jo...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/23 21:32:16 UTC

redraw problem in safari 4 ?

Hi,

I was checking out the demo samples and noticed what looks to be a
redraw problem. Basically what i did was to open the kitchen sink
demo, let it init and then click on the Menu link (to see the menu
examples). Its hard to explain what i saw so i'm attaching a
screenshot (hope it comes through!). Is this a mac related issue
perhaps ?

I also noticed similar problems under firefox, mostly when using the
applet scroll bars (they appear when the browser window is smaller
than the applet window)

Other than that : GREAT stuff :) I'm really looking forward evaluating
Pivot for a few projects here at work.

Thanks and good luck with the incubation process !
Jorg Heymans

Re: redraw problem in safari 4 ?

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
>On FF (mac) i am still having some problems though

This is a known issue with Firefox on the Mac. We suspect that it has something to do with this:

http://javaplugin.sourceforge.net/Readme.html

But we are hoping that it will be fixed after J6u12+ becomes available on OSX:

Re: redraw problem in safari 4 ?

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Todd,

The problem indeed goes away when the browser window is larger than
the applet window. On FF (mac) i am still having some problems though,
see attached screenshot which is what i see (sometimes) upon initial
load. When i then resize the browser window slightly it goes away and
all widgets are properly visible again.

Thanks,
Jorg

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, there have been several issues and questions raised, so let's hit
> them one by one.
>
> 1) The Safari issue.  It sounds like you confirmed that we were
> talking about the same issue.  I just checked in a fix that disables
> the optimization for Mac OS X users -- just until Apple fixes the
> issue with the plug-in.  You should be able to run the demo off the
> wiki on Safari with no problems now.

http://cwiki.apache.org/PIVOT/kitchen-sink-demo.html displays fine now
on Safari 4, I could not get the previous redraw problems to appear
again, great !

> 2) The FF/Mac issue.  Greg covered this very well, so I'll just refer
> to his response.

Indeed, i have 1.6.0_07 on my mac which is causing the problem
apparently, so we'll have to wait for J6u12 as Greg points out.

> 3) The IE/Win 1.6.0_07 issue.  When you have time, can you try three
> things for us?  First, I updated the code at
> http://people.apache.org/~tvolkert/tmp, so can you try it again in IE
> there?  Also, can you try the public demo at
> http://cwiki.apache.org/PIVOT/kitchen-sink-demo.html in IE as well,
> since the code there is different.  Finally, are you able to install
> 1.6.0_10 or later on this machine and see if the problem goes away?

I just installed 160_13 on my winxp parallels instance:

http://people.apache.org/~tvolkert/tmp
http://cwiki.apache.org/PIVOT/kitchen-sink-demo.html

both display fine now. Rolling back to _07 jre I was able to trigger
redraw problems again.

HTH
Jorg

Re: redraw problem in safari 4 ?

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Oh, sorry, it's in the zip.

Forcing a refresh (like changing the current window, then returning to
that of the browser) then all is refreshed right.

Bye,
Sandro

Re: redraw problem in safari 4 ?

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
Didn't get the attachment

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
I've set up a test case for this issue that I'm using in my bug report
to Apple (and to Sun if this is reproducible in Windows using the Sun
plug-in).  It's at:

Demo: http://people.apache.org/~tvolkert/bugreports/copyArea2/
Source: http://people.apache.org/~tvolkert/bugreports/copyArea2/Test.java

With respect to this issue, we should use this URL from now on, since
IMO this issue should be debugged in a vacuum, without Pivot as part
of the equation.  I'm also sending this to the dev list since this
discussion has turned into more of a developer discussion.

-T

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Jorg,

This is very helpful. I have a couple of questions:

- Is this behavior consistent? Does it happen every time you scroll an area out of and back into view?
- Do you have 1.6.0_10 or later available? If so, would it be possible to determine if this also happens in IE in that configuration?

Thanks!
Greg

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
When you say "applet scrollbars", are you referring to the ones that appear inside the applet and look like Pivot, or do they look like native scroll bars?

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jorg,