Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Peter Harrison <pe...@team.orcon.net.nz> on 2014/04/23 05:56:43 UTC

Is ORM a Dead Project?

A number of months ago I attempted to contribute some code that provided
a way to map a List to the properties of a single Node to the ORM
project. This only works for arrays of primitives of course, but was
quite useful to me, and others I noted were asking for similar
functionality.

I have tried to follow the process of issue tracker submission and
attaching my code but I note that the OCM project has had no commits
whatsoever since... well as long as I have been watching since at least
September last year.

I'm using Jackrabbit in anger (aka - not just playing, we are doing
serious projects) but I am concerned that the code base of OCM has been
abandoned. This doesn't bode well for the rest of the codebase. I'm
happy to contribute and help, but there has been no replies to my
queries about progress on commiting my contributions.

Perhaps my code is junk or I'm taking the wrong approach, or there is a
better way, but I'm not really getting the impression I'm welcome. I
realise people are busy, but this is wasting the opportunity to involve
experienced developers who are keen to help. I'm not beating up on
anyone - I just would like to get more involved in this great project.

Thanks,
Peter

AW: Is OCM a Dead Project?

Posted by Thomas Auinger <th...@byteconsult.de>.
Hello,

we skipped OCM right from the start due to its limited functionality and went with Jcrom instead.

While that had been abandoned somebody else has picked up the project meanwhile and version 2.1 has been released in June 2013.

We made a few improvements ourselves but in general I am quite happy with the value it offers.

Viele Grüße
Thomas Auinger
Beratung und Leitung Entwicklung

ByteConsult GmbH  |  Tel.: +49-(0)931-20510-20  |  AG Würzburg, HRB 7262
Schürerstraße 5   |  Fax:  +49-(0)931-20510-19  |  GF: Jens Helmerich
97080 Würzburg    |  http://www.byteconsult.de  |      Manuel Hermann

Interest in OCM has not been very high. We have written a module for the Magnolia CMS to make use of OCM and therefore would also like to see OCM live. But I have not heard of too many others using it.

So, I cannot tell you anything about the status of OCM other than letting you know that we're using it as well.

-will

Re: Is OCM a Dead Project?

Posted by Ulrich Scheidegger <wi...@mac.com>.
Hi Peter

Re: Is ORM a Dead Project?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 5:56 AM, Peter Harrison
<pe...@team.orcon.net.nz> wrote:
>...I am concerned that the code base of OCM has been abandoned...

I'm not a Jackrabbit committer but it's pretty clear that the OCM
module is not popular and hasn't seen much action, previous
discussions such as http://markmail.org/message/wmqggzrxwxearmyh
explain why.

The recently introduced Sling Models [1] provide an interesting
alternative IMO, but they require the underlying OSGi and Sling
machinery - which brings many other benefits but it depends on your
environment and goals of course.

-Bertrand

[1] http://sling.apache.org/documentation/bundles/models.html