Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Flaviu Tamas <me...@flaviutamas.com.INVALID> on 2022/06/22 21:30:00 UTC

Winding OpenOffice down

Why hasn't OpenOffice been wound down & shuttered?

The existence of the website makes users assume that OpenOffice is
still actively being developed, when those users would be much better
served migrating to LibreOffice.

I've seen this conversation several times over the past few years in
various open source communities.

At the very least, a prominent notice that users should use
LibreOffice on the main OpenOffice site would be nice.

Re: Winding OpenOffice down

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
TAP General wrote:
> Apache OpenOffice works just fine for me.  Frequent addition of new
> features seems not to be necessary.
>
> Do you find that OpenOffice is not being updated as necessary to work
> with new releases of operating systems?  Is something else of importance
> being neglected?
>
> More work on OO Documentation would be useful.  An automated system for
> checking the integrity of downloaded versions would be nice.

We have rebooted the documentation effort and are now writing the user
documentation using AOO Writer. If you are interested in helping with
the effort you can subscribed to the documentation website and we can
get you started.

You can subscribe to the list by sending a blank e-mail to
doc-subscribe@openoffice.apache.org. You should receive a reply which
could end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check there. Just reply
to that e-mail and you will get a reply back that you are
subscribed.Then introduce yourself to the list and we will get you started.

Regards
Keith

Re: Winding OpenOffice down

Posted by TAP General <ta...@verizon.net.INVALID>.

--
*v/r,
                Tom Panfil

Re: Winding OpenOffice down

Posted by ELAINE MURSZEWSKI <sa...@aol.com.INVALID>.

The best job goes to the person who can get it done without passing the buck or coming back with excuses. ~~ Napoleon Hill

Posted by Flaviu Tamas <me...@flaviutamas.com.INVALID>.

Suggestion relating to installing and updating Apache Open Office - was - Re: Winding OpenOffice down

Posted by Bret Busby <br...@busby.net>.
On 23/6/22 7:36 pm, Peter Kovacs wrote:
> Hello Flaviu
>
> Am 22.06.22 um 23:30 schrieb Flaviu Tamas:
>> Why hasn't OpenOffice been wound down & shuttered?
>
> I can only explain my view on this. I am an AOO committer because people
> use AOO. And more often then not they are aware on the market, and they
> did decide on Apache OpenOffice.
>
> Winding down the project would mean that the people will most likely to
> use an abandoned software. We still see updates from 3.x Versions. So
> for me it is the right thing to continue the project and keep it alive
> as long as people use the software and we people volunteer to work on
> it. I think it would be damaging if the current team would quit the
> OpenSource development.
>
> Especially OpenOffice shows a resilience that is remarkable and a
> recommendation for OpenSource in comparison to closed source.
>

>> The existence of the website makes users assume that OpenOffice is
>> still actively being developed, when those users would be much better
>> served migrating to LibreOffice.
> There is no discussion with LO on a migration path.
>>
>> I've seen this conversation several times over the past few years in
>> various open source communities.
>
> Which is a bubble discussion. With no relevance or power of solution.
>
>  From my perspective is the only orderly way  a project merge. AFAIK
> there is no interest on LO side to discuss this path. So there is no
> point to follow this up.
>
> If LO Community is willing to talk they know how to start the
> discussion. From my perspective the ball is in their half (as we Germans
> say)
>

>> At the very least, a prominent notice that users should use
>> LibreOffice on the main OpenOffice site would be nice.
>
> My dedication is to AOO. I am still open to discuss a merge. And this
> will remain. But my dedication is to AOO and the users who decided to
> use AOO with all its pros and cons.
>
> I am not in favor in promoting any other specific project like LO as
> long there are active committers. If the move to attic becomes relevant
> again we can discuss this point. But I would favor an open approach that
> enables Users to make their own discussion, then dominate them with a
> predefined decision. But currently I see no need. We getting slowly
> better in fixing stuff and moving forward.
>
> All the best
>
> Peter Kovacs

Hello.

Apart from the thread on the mailing list, having apparently been
started as a troll, it caused me to check, and, I have LibreOffice
installed, and, not Apache Open Office, and, Apache Open Office cannot
be found by Synaptic (I am running UbuntuMATE Linux 20.10, on this
computer).

In viewing the web page at
https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html#linux
which has

"
  Linux Installations
Linux Pre-installation Notes

The following preinstallation steps are recommended for Linux
distributions. These should be taken to assure that you have a clean
install of Apache OpenOffice due to internal considerations and/or the
installation of LibreOffice, if it exists, on your system.

     Check to see if LibreOffice has re-routed the OpenOffice binary.
     Type "whereis soffice" from a console.

     If this is symlinked to libreoffice, remove the symlink. (see your
favorite reference for how to do this)

     This will NOT remove LibreOffice, this will only disallow
LibreOffice to redirect the normal OpenOffice binary -- typically
/usr/bin/soffice -- to libreoffice instead.
     Due to directory structure changes in Apache OpenOffice 4.x
versions, your older Openoffice 3.x should be deleted entirely by a new
install or update process. This is normal. If you experience problems
using the "update" process, please remove the old OpenOffice 3.x
packages manually.
     If you have been testing one of the older developer snapshots, not
the released version, revision 150370, completely remove this old
version before attempting a new install or update.
     See java requirements.
"

I ran "whereis soffice", got

"
Thu Jun 23 21:50:27 bret@bret-MD34045-2521:~$whereis soffice
soffice: /usr/bin/soffice
Thu Jun 23 22:22:30 bret@bret-MD34045-2521:~$ls /usr/bin/soffice
/usr/bin/soffice
"

so ran cat /usr/bin/soffice, and, the file is about four and a half
screens long.

I am wondering whether it would be possible, to develop a simple method
of installing Apache Open Office, using a system package manager
(something like apt or synaptic, or the Ubuntu "Software" utility, by
creating a repository that could be included in the /etc/apt/sources
file (or, as a particular file, in /etc/apt/sources.d, that could be
used for installing and updating, as new versions become available), so
that less skilled users, like me, could simply add the repository, then
use a system package manager, to install and update Apache Open Office,
and, with the installation/updating process, bypassing (using an
alternative to) /usr/bin/soffice, perhaps, using instead, something like
/usr/bin/aoffice (or, /usr/bin/aoo).

If, in considering this, the aspect that some users of office suites and
component applications, like me, are users with limited skills  ("a bear
with little brain" :) ), would be considered, it could, perhaps, justify
implementing my suggestion, to make the use of Apache Open Office, more
accessible.

Out of interest, I was using Star Office 5.0 (I think it was), when it
was produced by the Star Corporation, and, included, amongst its
components, an email application. I remember travelling to the Perth
(Western Australia) CBD office of a company that distributed it, to
obtain an official CD of it .

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Re: Winding OpenOffice down

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Hello Flaviu

Am 22.06.22 um 23:30 schrieb Flaviu Tamas:
> Why hasn't OpenOffice been wound down & shuttered?

I can only explain my view on this. I am an AOO committer because people
use AOO. And more often then not they are aware on the market, and they
did decide on Apache OpenOffice.

Winding down the project would mean that the people will most likely to
use an abandoned software. We still see updates from 3.x Versions. So
for me it is the right thing to continue the project and keep it alive
as long as people use the software and we people volunteer to work on
it. I think it would be damaging if the current team would quit the
OpenSource development.

Especially OpenOffice shows a resilience that is remarkable and a
recommendation for OpenSource in comparison to closed source.

> The existence of the website makes users assume that OpenOffice is
> still actively being developed, when those users would be much better
> served migrating to LibreOffice.
There is no discussion with LO on a migration path.

> I've seen this conversation several times over the past few years in
> various open source communities.

Which is a bubble discussion. With no relevance or power of solution.

 From my perspective is the only orderly way  a project merge. AFAIK

Re: Winding OpenOffice down

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 17:30 22/06/2022 -0400, Flaviu Tamas wrote:
>At the very least, a prominent notice that users should use
>LibreOffice on the main OpenOffice site would be nice.

Here's a thought: perhaps you could start the process by arranging
for a "prominent notice" that users should use OpenOffice on the main
Microsoft Office site?

Brian Barker

Re: Winding OpenOffice down + post upgrade glitch

Posted by PCS <pe...@bigpond.com>.
I have used LibreOffice on Linux fairly often over the past 12 years and occasionally on the Mac (my main computer), but I prefer OpenOffice on the Mac.

LO seems to be more fully featured than OO and some of its features are better implemented than the same ones in OO, but overall I find OO easier to use (for what I use it for, others may disagree) despite a couple of annoying issues (the worst is the RH side panel popping out unwanted if you happen to click on its opening button when scrolling up or down or when resizing a window: the activator should be out of the way, in the top menu panel, or at least have an option to move it out of the way, maybe some people actually like the Jack-in-a-box). The less frequent updates of OO is a plus also, obviously we all want to be up to date with security but other than that I see no need for frequent updates of a bread-and-butter application that does the job you need it to do, unless there is a genuine improvement, like stopping the RH panel from being a Jack-in-the-box, or if it needs to be updated for compatibility with an OS update.

So overall I am content to stay with OO rather than move to LO (I do have LO installed, but I rarely use it), and unless OO and LO can be successfully merged, with options to allow users to configure the merged app to work the way they want to work, I would not want to see OO “wound down and shuttered”.

All Flaviu Tamas needs to do, after all, is to uninstall OO and use LO, problem solved for him without denying others what for them is a useful alternative. Who is he anyway, to try to dictate that we should all use the app he prefers? That seems pretty arrogant to me, he should not assume that he knows what is best for me better than I do. He is probably like my father, who used to say, when he owned a 1928 Dodge, “If you can’t afford a Dodge, dodge a Ford”, then changed it to, “If you can’t afford a Ford, dodge a Dodge” when he bought a 1953 Ford Customline, i.e. "I am such an expert that whatever I buy / have / use is automatically what everyone else should buy / have / use. Flaviu should just use the app he/she prefers and let others continue to have access to the one they prefer, and I am surprised that nobody else has told him/her that already.

There is an annoying glitch in the recent OO Mac update that seems to make the case for not updating without good reason. When an OO document is opened now, the green update arrow appears in the main menu bar, but when you click on it it doesn’t work properly. For a while it opened an initially transparent Extension Manager window offering a Spelling dictionary when you clicked it visible, but clicking on it froze the application and it had to be Force Quit and reopened. The app's data recovery feature minimised data loss, but it was still a nuisance. I have been ignoring the green arrow to circumvent the problem, but have just tried it again (with a new document, so as not to risk compromising a real one), and now the problem seems to be half fixed, clicking on the green arrow in the main menu bar doesn’t do anything, not even offer a genuine extension update, so at least the app no longer freezes. But this is a good example of why I am normally a late updater, because new updates of the OS or an app often have glitches in them that I would much rather have discovered by other people than discover myself, hence my dislike of LO’s much more frequent updates, I haven’t had problems with them, but the more frequent they are the greater is the risk, so I prefer less frequent and better tested updates, and the glitch in recent OO update is a significant disappointment.

PCS

Re: CORRECTION, post upgrade glitch is still serious

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Am 23.06.22 um 12:09 schrieb PCS:
> CORRECTION, the Extension Update glitch froze a spreadsheet I had put aside in the Dock and forgotten was open when I tested with a couple of new documents. It was successfully recovered but it is still a serious glitch.

Sadly the extension code has a unresolved bug :(

It is a release blocker for 4.2.0. I hope we get to the bug someday.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Craig,

Am 24.06.22 um 01:12 schrieb Craig Russell:
> Hi Mattias,
>
>> On Jun 23, 2022, at 04:03, Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, that is an old bug becoming more visible on macOS because some
>> extensions were updated recently.
>>
>> Just as a quick "work around": Please disable the option for "Online
>> Update" in your AOO preferences.
> Just to clarify: the Online Update has a section to (O) check for updates and a different section to (O) automatically download updates.
>
> I assume you are advising users to disable automatic downloads but keep check for updates?

No, "Check for updates automatically" should be disabled to prevent
problems on macOS.

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mattias,

> [...]

>> There is an annoying glitch in the recent OO Mac update that seems to make the case for not updating without good reason. When an OO document is opened now, the green update arrow appears in the main menu bar, but when you click on it it doesn’t work properly. For a while it opened an initially transparent Extension Manager window offering a Spelling dictionary when you clicked it visible, but clicking on it froze the application and it had to be Force Quit and reopened. The app's data recovery feature minimised data loss, but it was still a nuisance. I have been ignoring the green arrow to circumvent the problem, but have just tried it again (with a new document, so as not to risk compromising a real one), and now the problem seems to be half fixed, clicking on the green arrow in the main menu bar doesn’t do anything, not even offer a genuine extension update, so at least the app no longer freezes. But this is a good example of why I am normally a late updater, because new updates of the OS or an app often have glitches in them that I would much rather have discovered by other people than discover myself, hence my dislike of LO’s much more frequent updates, I haven’t had problems with them, but the more frequent they are the greater is the risk, so I prefer less frequent and better tested updates, and the glitch in recent OO update is a significant disappointment.

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: CORRECTION, post upgrade glitch is still serious

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi,

Posted by PCS <pe...@bigpond.com>.

Re: Winding OpenOffice down

Posted by Frank McIsaac <sn...@gmail.com>.
Well said FC

Re: Winding OpenOffice down

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On 23/06/2022, Bret Busby <br...@busby.net> wrote:
> On 23/6/22 2:20 pm, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>> Cows see a lot of trains pass by while pasturing, and that doesn' t
>> make the cows train engineers.
> I like that.
>
> Are you the source of that one?

Sadly, no.

> That is a proverb worth quoting.
>
> If you are the source, and, you are not quoting someone else's proverb,
> may we have your permission to quote it?

I heard it from Fernando Martin Peña :)), a local film collector and
historian, on his late night TV show, many, many years ago. Probably
circa 2010.

This guy
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4395159/

Cheers!
FC

Re: Winding OpenOffice down

Posted by Bret Busby <br...@busby.net>.
On 23/6/22 2:20 pm, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> Cows see a lot of trains pass by while pasturing, and that doesn' t
> make the cows train engineers.

I like that.

Are you the source of that one?

That is a proverb worth quoting.

If you are the source, and, you are not quoting someone else's proverb,
may we have your permission to quote it?

By the way, I am surprised that some list subscribers are feeding the
troll that posted the original message in the thread...

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Re: Winding OpenOffice down

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Winding OpenOffice down

Posted by Andrew Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_OpenOffice
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

LibreOffice (LO)
Apache OpenOffice (AOO)

This is from my memory and I am not checking my facts, so here it goes:

I was under the impression that AOO still has contributors.... The original split was based on ideology, not sure if that is still the case. I will concede that LO has had much more development than AOO. I am not sure if that is why most Linux distros use LO rather than AOO or if that is also based on ideology; never cared enough to look into it.

I won’t bother with the entire history of AOO / LO, but, some people did not like the license used by AOO. At the time, it was not owned by Apache, I think it was owned by Oracle after Oracle purchased Sun Micro-Systems. In other words, the split was based in ideology (disagreement with the license).

So LO forked from OpenOffice.org with their own license. Obviously they had to rewrite certain things to go with their license of choice. Soms is outlined at the Wiki page mentioned above.

LibreOffice License
https://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/licenses
GPL / LGPL V3+  and Mozilla Public License v2.0

Apache OpenOffice License
https://www.openoffice.org/license.html
ASL

I am not sure it is a correct characterization and I am not going to spend time reading through all the license stuff, but I heard it summarized as follows:

LO's license will allow the developer to own the coding they are sharing with the project, where AOO's really will give that project the ownership of the coding. Whether or not the "wording" is stating that, that is what most developers I have "talked" with have told me.

Without looking it up, I would have characterized the difference noting that ASL is more permissive than GPL. Specifically, if you modify or use GPL code the new code is GPL. Because of this, most companies forbid the use of GPL code to be used with code that they develop (or their code becomes GPL), which is kind of the point of the GPL. The code that I release (as in not for my employer) I release on a very permissive license, but that also means that others can take my code and sell it after minor modifications.

LO immediately gained lots of traction with many contributors while Oracle decided what to do with OOo and then they eventually handed it over to Apache.

Initially, the documentation group was working with both LO and AOO, but there was a falling out between the person leading the group and some people with AOO. I never fully understood the disagreement but noted that the primary individual indicated that they would no longer work on AOO documentation so the group producing LO documentation mostly abandoned AOO but are still strongly working on LO documentation.