Posted to users@flex.apache.org by mark goldin <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/25 22:48:30 UTC

Parsley question

Anybody is working with Parsley framework?

Thanks

Re: Parsley question

Posted by dude <du...@atheist.com>.
The introduction to chapter 11 of the Parsley documentation [1]:

"11 - Building MVC Architectures

Parsley is different from several other Flex or Flash MVC Frameworks in
that it does not provide very much explicit support for the various
pieces of an MVC architecture. This was a side effect of our primary
goal being to allow to design a fully decoupled architecture. Decoupled
in a sense that not only the parts of your application are decoupled
from each other, but also decoupled from the framework itself. For
example providing base classes for controllers or mediators in the
framework that application classes have to extend is a bad idea if you
want to support such a decoupled architecture.

For that reason the Messaging Framework in Parsley which we already
described in 6 Messaging is pretty generic. It does not assume a
particular programming style or architectural pattern. Nevertheless
Parsley still falls into the same category as many other MVC Frameworks
since the Messaging Framework can easily be used in a way that helps
building an application based on the MVC architectural pattern. In this
chapter we will provide some examples on how to use the Messaging
Framework in such a context."

Reading that chapter [2] might give you more insight.

[1] http://www.spicefactory.org/parsley/docs/3.0/manual/
[2] http://www.spicefactory.org/parsley/docs/3.0/manual/mvc.php#intro

RE: Parsley question

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

I'm not sure I understand your question but just in case:

Mediators are not part of the pattern used by Cairngorm or Parsley, the
reason is the view dependency of the mediator doesn't allow easy testing,
instead, they use the Command and Presentation Model [1] [2] patterns.

Basically, a class will act as the model for the view, this model will be
injected into the view, each user action in this view that needs to alter
the data model will dispatch a specific event which will trigger a command,
the command will then alter the model, doing so, visual code and non-visual
code are well separated and all the non-visual code can be unit tested
easily.

For an example of the usage, you can have a look at
https://github.com/apacheflex/whiteboard_fthomas_developerToolSuite/blob/dev
elop/org.apache.flex.utilities.developerToolSuite.component-lib/src/main/fle
x/org/apache/flex/utilities/developerToolSuite/presentation/graphic/menu/App
licationMenu.mxml

And its model:
https://github.com/apacheflex/whiteboard_fthomas_developerToolSuite/blob/dev
elop/org.apache.flex.utilities.developerToolSuite.component-lib/src/main/fle
x/org/apache/flex/utilities/developerToolSuite/presentation/behavior/menu/Ap
plicationMenuPM.as

HTH
-Fred

[1] http://sourceforge.net/adobe/cairngorm/wiki/CairngormGuidelines/