Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Gregor Zurowski <gr...@list.zurowski.org> on 2019/02/18 07:22:52 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Camel 3.0.0-M1 (Milestone 1)

Hi Everyone:

This is a vote to release Apache Camel 3.0.0-M1, the first milestone
towards a new 3.0.0 major release with currently 366 improvements and
fixes.

Release notes: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12315691&projectId=12311211

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-1119/

Tarballs: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-1119/org/apache/camel/apache-camel/3.0.0-M1/

Tag: https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=camel.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/camel-3.0.0-M1

Please test this release candidate and cast your vote.
[ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache Camel 3.0.0-M1

The vote is open for at least 72 hours.

Thanks,
Gregor

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 3.0.0-M1 (Milestone 1)

Posted by Onder SEZGIN <on...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Oh, here is my +1.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
From the Apache release policy, the source release is endorsed by ASF.
Even lots of user just consume the convenience binary, we still need
to keep the source artifact in a good sharp.

I just created a JIRA[1] to follow the issue.

[1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-13240

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
+1 (binding)

Thanks Gregor for your time.

May I ask you to create an .adoc file with all the details to release? It would be helpful if we may have some rotation.

But this is a different argument. Thanks!

--
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------

Re: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 3.0.0-M1 (Milestone 1)

Posted by Federico Valeri <fe...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

I tested some real use cases and a couple of examples:
1.
https://github.com/apache/camel/tree/master/examples/camel-example-bigxml-split
2.
https://github.com/apache/camel/tree/master/examples/camel-example-billboard-aggr

In the 2nd example I only had to replace property (deprecated)
with exchangeProperty in simple expressions.
I opened a PR for these small changes.

Thank you, great work!
Federico

Posted by Alex Dettinger <al...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

  Il lun, 18 feb, 2019 alle 22:56, Pascal Schumacher<pa...@gmx.net> ha scritto:   +1 (non-binding)

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Luca Burgazzoli <lb...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

---
Luca Burgazzoli

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
+1 (binding)

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 3.0.0-M1 (Milestone 1)

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I got a bit further and have all the source migrated, and are
currently looking into some test failures.
There was a cdi issue which I have logged a JIRA ticket.
Also I noticed the tracer is not working, but its expected as the old
logic was deprecated, and we would need to add a new/better
implementation.
The last bits are chapter 12 with the transaction stuff that takes a
little bit more effort to migrate with AMQ and having the right
dependencies.

Posted by John Poth <po...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding) thanks Gregor for doing the release

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
+1 (non-binding)

Thanks for this great release!

Regards,

François Papon
fpapon@apache.org

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
+1

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 3.0.0-M1 (Milestone 1)

Posted by Gregor Zurowski <gr...@list.zurowski.org>.
+1 (binding)

Thanks,
Gregor

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 3.0.0-M1 (Milestone 1)

Posted by Gregor Zurowski <gr...@list.zurowski.org>.
Thanks for your participation in this vote.

The vote passes with the following results:

+1 binding: 9 (Alex Dettinger, Andrea Cosentino, Claus Ibsen, Gregor
Zurowski, Guillaume Nodet, Luca Burgazzoli, Onder Sezgin, Willem
Jiang, Zoran Regvart)

+1 non-binding: 4 (François Papon, Federico Valeri, John Poth, Pascal
Schumacher)

I am going to publish the artifacts for Camel 3.0.0-M1 shortly.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

I gave the milestone 1 a test spin with the CiA2 source code, which
took some effort to migrate.
However this also helps show-case all corners of Camels that end users
may use, and what effort you may need.

For normal Camel applications there are zero to very limited
migration. deprecated stuff removed etc.
However the biggest is likely that AggregationStrategy interface has
moved. So its not a drop in upgrade.

For component developers then the default classes you extend has also
moved, but they are just gone from impl to support, so the migration
is easy.

Then for AMQ users that use activemq-camel, then you need to move to
camel-activemq instead.

And in XML DSL if you are using <threads> then it no longer has child
outputs (which was a bit of mistake in 2.x) and you just use it like a
<to> etc

This PR shows the migration effort for the CiA2 source code that
others can also use as inspiration
https://github.com/camelinaction/camelinaction2/compare/camel3m1

And then I found a couple of issues, one with camel-cdi and another
when using advice-with and interceptors.

--
Claus Ibsen