Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2018/12/13 08:34:07 UTC

Introducing lists based on the overall project categories?

Hi all,

at the moment I’m involved in 3 Apache project in the IoT area. A lot of the work I have been doing is to help make all of these work together.
PLC4X – NiFi Integration
PLC4X – Apache Kafka Connect
PLC4X – Camel Integration
PLC4X – Edgent Integration
Edgent - … integration

However sometimes I could for example need some help by NiFi Guys to check my NiFi integration, have Kafka Connect gurus provide suggestions on how to improve our connector, …

There’s a lot happening here and signing up and keeping up to date for all the dev-lists of all the projects around here would leave no time to actually work on things.

What do you think?

Chris

Re: Introducing lists based on the overall project categories?

Posted by Andrew Palumbo <ap...@outlook.com>.
+1

Re: Introducing lists based on the overall project categories?

Posted by Roy Lenferink <le...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good. Using the self-service platform it indeed is fairly easy to
request the mailing list(s) ;)

Roy

Posted by Michael Pavino <mi...@gmail.com>.
Michaelpavino@email.com

On Jan 3, 2019 7:08 PM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:

Hi Chris,

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 11:20 AM Christofer Dutz
<ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:
> ...But I think in this case we get another general list without any
focus. I think
> this would prevent people from subscribing....

It is certainly a question of balance, but I was hearing "it's easy to
create lists so let's create several that nobody really asked for"
which is scary ;-)

But maybe it's just my perception - I'm not opposed to creating lists
provided someone is willing to take care of them.

-Bertrand

Re: Introducing lists based on the overall project categories?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 6/7/19 3:26 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 4:02 PM Christofer Dutz
> <ch...@c-ware.de>  wrote:
> Allow me to insist;-)

I've heard of this tech@ list, but never subscribed. I just went looking
for it, to see what traffic was like, and it is not listed on
lists.apache.org . Is this a theoretical list, or an actual one?

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
http://rcbowen.com/

Re: Introducing lists based on the overall project categories?

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
We can have both. And if we can have only one thing I'm in favor of the
project category list that Chris suggested.

If we have one huge list it'll just mean more mails etc., people having to
set up filters or skip over stuff they are not interested in.

I can imagine a single bigdata@ list to be super useful for coordination
between all those scattered projects: <
https://projects.apache.org/projects.html?category> (hadoop has its own
category there, a bit confusing)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 12:58, Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:

> Hi Bertrand,
>
> There was a discussion about subscription only lists ... is that possible?

Yes, that can be requested.

A bit more work for contributors up front, but less work for moderators.

To forestall questions, I recommend explaining the choice (and why it
was made) on the page that advertises the list.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Bertrand,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I Bertrand,

Well I still think that I personally would rather sign up to an
iot@apache.org mailinglist than to a tech@apache.org one.
So I guess we'll just vote on it ... do we have 2-way votes?

Sort of:

-1: No: don't want any list
+T: Yes, but want a tech-list
+I: Yes, but want an IoT-list

Chris

Am 07.06.19, 13:33 schrieb "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org>:

    On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 12:48 PM Christofer Dutz
    <ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:
    > ...For me it looks as if tech@ would be one huge list ...

    It *might* eventually become large, then big, then huge...but like
    everything it will start small.

    If it does indeed grow, it *might* be fine to farm out specific busy
    topics to their own lists.

    Until then, a single list is the best way to create momentum around a
    place to have cross-cutting technical discussions at the ASF.

    I think I've exposed my position, multiple times so I'll stop now and
    as mentioned whoever does the work decides.

    Please just keep the <tongue-in-cheek>Wisdom Of The
    Elders<tongue-in-cheek> in mind, as reported at
    https://grep.codeconsult.ch/2011/12/06/stefanos-mazzocchis-busy-list-pattern/
    (blog post of mine based on content provided by Stefano Mazzocchi’s,
    Apache Cocoon's original author)

    -Bertrand

Re: Introducing lists based on the overall project categories?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Alex,

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 6:03 PM Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:
> ...Does the ASF have an example of a cross-project list that failed?...

I cannot remember that - I pointed to Stefano's Law of Busy Lists as a
reason to create a single tech@ list as opposed to multiple ones for
smaller audiences.

-Bertrand

Re: Introducing lists based on the overall project categories?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Bertrand,

Your link took me to a post about splitting lists because some list is busy, but AIUI, this proposal for iot@ is to communicate between related projects.  Does the ASF have an example of a cross-project list that failed?

Thanks,
-Alex

    https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgrep.codeconsult.ch%2F2011%2F12%2F06%2Fstefanos-mazzocchis-busy-list-pattern%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7Cd4a971a7b8914177060c08d6eb3c0d32%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636955040515183248&amp;sdata=dHSIBSpDbUNxaXn2mFx1DfznQfYvEgLpMWXMq8OsrOQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Bertrand,

For me it looks as if tech@ would be one huge list ...
and the amount of emails of interest to me would be only a fraction.
Having named topic lists would help focus.
It would allow to skim the topics and react on the ones of interest.

Guess a tech-list would just feel like being on one of those project lists,
Here they do most discussions in guthub pull-requests and who's mailinglists
have almost no emails of interest anymore or I just can't find them in
between 10000000 of bot emails.

Chris

Am 07.06.19, 09:26 schrieb "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org>:

    Hi Chris,

    On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 4:02 PM Christofer Dutz

    Allow me to insist ;-)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Chris,

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 4:02 PM Christofer Dutz

Allow me to insist ;-)

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
I agree too.  Setting up lists like this would also make it easier to
orchestrate tracks and BoFs for conferences.

Best,
Myrle

Posted by Julian Feinauer <jf...@apache.org>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Bertrand,

But I think in this case we get another general list without any focus. I think this would prevent people from subscribing. For me it wouldn't be that interesting subscribing to a list that generic. A specialized list would lower the bar for subscribing, I think. And after all, the main purpose of such a list is helping the inter-project knowledge transfer - at least that was the reason I proposed it - so it could even be restricted to committers ... Don't think we need another super-user-list, and if we want one, that would be a totally different topic (at least for me)

Chris

Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36> herunterladen

________________________________
Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I think creating them wouldn't be a huge overhead ...

and then we could simply notify the dev-lists of the projects tagged with a given category about the new list.
This way anyone could signup.

Chris

Am 30.12.18, 17:38 schrieb "Roy Lenferink" <rl...@apache.org>:

    Are we starting with iot@ or are we creating other lists as well, e.g.
    streaming@ (Flink, Spark, Storm, Heron .....) and big-data@ (Hadoop, Metron
    ....) and so on.
    And were do we document the existence of these lists or do we leave it to

Posted by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Magic Stick <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good Chris that's using the old noodle

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Chris,

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 9:34 AM Christofer Dutz
<ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:
> ...As we have a list of general categories for our projects, how about creating
> general “@apache.org” mailinglists for each of these categories for the purpose
> of coordinating such efforts....

I would rather start with a general tech@apache.org list and use
[subject line tags] to identify topics, as OpenStack successfully does
[1]. And if really really needed farm out more specific lists.

I think tech@labs.apache.org [2] was created for this purpose but it
doesn't seem to be active so far, might be worth talking to that
project.

-Bertrand

[1] for example
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/thread.html