Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Fred Blaise <ch...@madpenguin.org> on 2004/09/10 06:25:59 UTC

apache ssl or tomcat ssl?

Hello

Tomcat newbie over here.. I was wondering.. I have my apache server set
up to handle SSL (443) and my tomcat (5.0.28) as well on port 8443.
Is there any reason why I should use the Tomcat SSL, whereas I already
have apache SSL?
Only thing I see at the moment is that some places (like my company)
block outbound ports, so I am able to get to my 443 port, but not 8443.

Thanks.

fb.

Re: apache ssl or tomcat ssl?

Posted by Colin Woods <co...@gmail.com>.
> Tomcat newbie over here.. I was wondering.. I have my apache server set
> up to handle SSL (443) and my tomcat (5.0.28) as well on port 8443.
> Is there any reason why I should use the Tomcat SSL, whereas I already
> have apache SSL?
> Only thing I see at the moment is that some places (like my company)
> block outbound ports, so I am able to get to my 443 port, but not 8443.

I believe you can switch ports on either server as you wish, but I
would think apache would serve your ssl requests/responses faster.
You could probably use ssl on either and pick a different port.  BTW I
imagine it's also possible to have apache proxy your ssl connections
to tomcat; but that's probably OT here.  I'm a newbie too.