Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2002/07/23 23:45:15 UTC

Subversion 'Alpha' released

Gentle coders,

The ever-growing cadre of Subversion developers is proud to announce
the release of Subversion "Alpha" (0.14.0).

Since we became self-hosting eleven months ago, we've gone through ten
milestones.  This milestone, however, is the one we've always been
working towards; it's a freeze on major features for our 1.0 release.

Re: Subversion 'Alpha' released

Posted by an...@gnulinux.dk.
When I tried to upgrade my client I hit a compile bug.

My system is a standard linux (Gentoo). Gcc 2.95.3

I updated apr, apr-util and neon. Then ran sh autogen.sh:

buildcheck: autoconf version 2.53 (ok)
buildcheck: libtool version 1.4.1 (ok)

I captured the complete configure here:

http://www.gnulinux.dk/svn-configure.log

and the compile log here:

http://www.gnulinux.dk/svn-compile.log

The part where it fails is:

../../../subversion/libsvn_ra/.libs/libsvn_ra-1.a(ra_loader.o): In
function load_ra_module':
/film/kernel/subversion/subversion/libsvn_ra/ra_loader.c(.rodata+0x4):
undefined reference to svn_ra_dav_init'

I'm trying to compile 2671.

I only get this when trying to compile with --disable-shared

* Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> [2002-07-24 01:46:19]:

--
Anders Rune Jensen
jabber: superduck@myjabber.net | email : anders@gnulinux.dk

Re: Subversion 'Alpha' released

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Developer-visible changes:
> * UTF-8 changes
>      - all libraries now assume UTF-8 input paths and log msgs
>      - many apr calls are now abstracted into new svn_io_* wrappers
> * fs schema change
>      - cache each revision's changed-paths in a new 'changes' table
>      - another repository dump/load is required
> * a number of fs-dumper bugfixes and redesigns
> * test suite is now all python, so it can run on win32

I don't know where that misconception came from. We're still using the
xml tests, svn-test.sh and svn-test2.sh. I agree we should rewrite them,
though.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 04:41:53PM -0400, mark benedetto king wrote:

> > > if we're going to keep it around, i'd be in favor of populating it
> > > with the various releases...  i mean we've got this wonderful O(N)
> > > tagging feature, we might as well use it ;-)
> >

> In the spirit of SVN advocacy, I think we should showcase the O(1)
> tagging, instead.

oops, how embarassing...

that'll teach me to read my posts before i send them...

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                    Remember, any design flaw you're
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net      sufficiently snide about becomes

Re: Subversion 'Alpha' released

Posted by mark benedetto king <bk...@inquira.com>.
On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 02:33:12PM -0500, B. W. Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:

> > > I think the only reason we haven't deleted /tags yet, is because of
> > > demonstration purposes.  :-)  It's a nice example of layout.
>
> > if we're going to keep it around, i'd be in favor of populating it
> > with the various releases...  i mean we've got this wonderful O(N)
> > tagging feature, we might as well use it ;-)

In the spirit of SVN advocacy, I think we should showcase the O(1)
tagging, instead.

--ben

Re: Subversion 'Alpha' released

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 02:33:12PM -0500, B. W. Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:

> > > I think the only reason we haven't deleted /tags yet, is because of
> > > demonstration purposes.  :-)  It's a nice example of layout.
>
> > if we're going to keep it around, i'd be in favor of populating it
> > with the various releases...  i mean we've got this wonderful O(N)
> > tagging feature, we might as well use it ;-)

> > would anyone have any objection to this?  any reason we shouldn't go
> > back and retroactively tag all the revisions we released as tarballs
> > and continue doing so in the future?
>
> +1 This would be a *very* nice showcase of how you could use tags.

well, i've gone back and tagged everything back to 0.6 (the first
release we gave a version number to).  if we could continue to tag
each new release as we make them, i think it would (as fitz says)
provide a good example of how one can use tags for our user community.

-garrett

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 01:37:56AM +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 03:30:46PM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
> > all right, i'll make the tags tonight when i get home, assuming nobody
> > beats me to it.
>
> Well, but what about
>
>   repos/svn/tags/alpha
>   repos/svn/branches/alpha
>
> and some commits to repos/svn/branches/alpha. Just to show people how
> to do it...

well, we have a tags/0.14.0, which is the alpha release.  i went with
the version number rather than the name.  and we don't need a branch
for alpha because we don't plan to port any changes back to it.

if people want examples of how to use branches, we have more than
enough in our /branches already.  there's no reason to go creating
more that won't serve any purpose.

-garrett

Posted by Josef Wolf <jw...@raven.inka.de>.

-- Josef Wolf -- jw@raven.inka.de --

Re: Subversion 'Alpha' released

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 02:23:23PM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:
>
> > if we're going to keep it around, i'd be in favor of populating it
> > with the various releases...  i mean we've got this wonderful O(N)
> > tagging feature, we might as well use it ;-)
>
> It might be a nice 'showcase' of our milestones, I guess.

exactly.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:

> if we're going to keep it around, i'd be in favor of populating it
> with the various releases...  i mean we've got this wonderful O(N)
> tagging feature, we might as well use it ;-)

It might be a nice 'showcase' of our milestones, I guess.

> plus it would be nice to be able to browse the various different
> releases from the web, and until viewsvn comes to fruition there is no
> way to go back to previous revisions without downloading them.

Heh, unless you know the Secret Magic URI format, you can only browse
the head revision right now.  :-)

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Féliciano Matias <fe...@free.fr>.

Posted by "Glenn A. Thompson" <gt...@cdr.net>.
Congrats Folks!!!

I hoist my fresh pot of coffee.  I hope you guys are hoisting something with a
little more kick:-)

gat