Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Steve Belt <sb...@servicecart.com> on 2001/08/07 18:53:46 UTC

How to setup users in database

The James web site seems to say that I can store and authenticate my users
using a database on the back-end. Is this currently possible? I only see
instructions for setting up a message store in a database. If this is
currently possible, how do I set it up? I was hoping to modify my servlet -
which currently creates a telnet connection - to connect directly to the
database. (or has this already been done?)

Steve B.

Re: How to setup users in database

Posted by Darrell DeBoer <dd...@bigdaz.com>.
I agree.

I'm not sure about the *long term* plans for remote administration, but it
seems to me that an API based approach (eg using RMI - or possibly JMX?),
is superior to both Telnet and modifying the database directly. One major
problem with modifying the database directly is that you'll need a different
servlet if you ever decide to change how the User Repository is stored (eg
xml, ldap).

Have a look at Buchi's RMI stuff - there's a simple client which serves as an
example. With it, you could code your servlet directly against the
"UserManager" API, which is much cleaner, IMO.

ciao
Daz

Posted by Gabriel Bucher <bu...@email.com>.
Hi Steve