Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by xunlong gui <us...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/18 02:41:12 UTC

Add tools that communicate with json/xml/csv data for avro

Hi guys,

I am so interested in the GSOC 2010 project with  subject "add tools that
read/write json records from/to avro data
files<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-456>",but
i think, if the tool can handler json records and also xml records and CSV
records, it will be more beautiful and powful. So, i want to develop a tool
that can communicate with all json data,xml data and csv,and i am
sure that i can finish it during the GSOC time.

But,in the project's description,Doug
Cutting<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=cutting>said
that "It might be useful to have command-line
tools that can read & write arbitrary json data from & to Avro data
files",why we develop a commadn-line tool only? why do not we develop a GUI
tool which is more friendly and more convenient? Thank you

Re: Add tools that communicate with json/xml/csv data for avro

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
xunlong gui wrote:
> I am so interested in the GSOC 2010 project with  subject "add tools that
> read/write json records from/to avro data
> files<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-456>",but
> i think, if the tool can handler json records and also xml records and CSV
> records, it will be more beautiful and powful. So, i want to develop a tool
> that can communicate with all json data,xml data and csv,and i am
> sure that i can finish it during the GSOC time.

Great!

> But,in the project's description said
> that "It might be useful to have command-line
> tools that can read & write arbitrary json data from & to Avro data
> files",why we develop a commadn-line tool only? why do not we develop a GUI
> tool which is more friendly and more convenient? Thank you

A GUI might be good too.

Thanks for your interest!

Doug