Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com> on 2006/01/05 06:49:08 UTC

Added section on overriding Roller macros to the 2.x users guide on the Wiki

I added a section on how to override/replace the use of velocimacro to
the Wiki:
http://www.rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=UserGuide_2.x#ref-UserGuide_2.x-55

If I made any errors, please correct them.  If the new section is
totally messed up or inappropriate, please delete it.  (But e-mail me
and let me know why...)

Thanks,

Sean

Re: Added section on overriding Roller macros to the 2.x users guide on the Wiki

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.
I'm glad you like it.  I actually wrote it to answer the questions of an
HTML coder that I asked to help with some Roller themes.  She has done
MovableType templates in the past and was confused by the Roller macros.
  Other than downloading the source or release tarball, there is no
access to the macro .vm files it seems.

The MT templates use special loop-style tags like <MTCategories> that
will enumerate the categories and repeat the HTML in-between the
starting and ending tags.  This makes it easier for people who are more
comfortable with HTML than programming languages to work with MT templates.

The Roller macros seem to be designed to make it easier for the Roller
developers to keep the built-in templates in sync.  (i.e. following the
DRY - Don't Repeat Yourself - principle.)  However, this isn't
necessarily the best solution for HTML template authors.

At the very least the source for the Macros should be on a web page.

-- Sean

Posted by David M Johnson <Da...@Sun.COM>.