Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Marek Miglinski <mm...@seven.com> on 2012/07/18 19:50:06 UTC

location of Java heap dumps

Hi all,

I have a setting of -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError on all nodes and I don't have permissions to add location where those dumps will be saved, so I get a message in my mapred process:

Dumping heap to java_pid10687.hprof ...
Heap dump file created [1385031743 bytes in 30.259 secs]

Where do I locate those dumps? Cause I can't find them anywhere.

Thanks,
Marek M.

Re: location of Java heap dumps

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
You need to ask your job to not discard failed task files. Else they
get cleared away (except for logs) and thats why you do not see it
anymore afterwards.

If you're using 1.x/0.20.x, set "keep.failed.task.files" to true in
your JobConf/Job.getConfiguration objects, before submitting your job.
Afterwards, visit the failed task's node and cd to the right
mapred.local.dir subdir for the attempt and you should see your file
in the task's working dir there. The config prevents the failed task
files to get removed.

Hope this helps!

--
Harsh J