Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Maximilian Gaerber <ma...@infolox.de> on 2008/09/12 17:24:37 UTC

fop and cmyk: pdf-image vs svg

Hi,

I just wanted to post some results from my various approaches to get
vector based graphics into my fop workflow with cmyk colors:

While FOP can handle CMYK color values defined in XSL-FO documents quite
nicely, CMYK colors defined in SVG graphics will end up as RGB in the
output PDF (so far, Batik seems to mess this up). As well, none of the
tools (Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape) I tested, preserve the CMYK color
definitions when I save the SVG file. So I'd have to post-process the
files and correct this.

So far, the better alternative seems to be to not use SVG but PDF and
use the pdf-image extension, see
http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/development/fop/index.html to place the
"PDF images". With PDF you've got tool support for CMYK and the graphics
remain vector graphics - no need to rasterize.

And it is as easy as:  <fo:external-graphic src="foo.pdf#page=1"/>

@Jeremias: from your source code (Ver. 1.2, PDFBoxAdapter.java, line
223), it looks like you're reading out the MediaBox from the
to-be-placed PDF?

Regards,

Max

News des Monats: www.thermopal.de - E-Business Lösung mit System für Thermopal, eine Tochter der Pfleiderer AG: Neugestaltung, wegweisende Produktsuche und moderne Nutzerführung!

--
infolox GmbH
Maximilian Gärber

fon +49 8382 / 275 894-70
fax +49 8382 / 275 894-9
mob +49 176 / 20 10 33 24

mail maximilian.gaerber@infolox.de
www.infolox.de
www.selektofix.de
www.katalogfabrik.de
www.typo3-services.com

Rechtsform: Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Lindau a. B.
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Kempten
Registernummer: HRB 8161
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Bauhuis, Alexander Pircher, Richard Schmid

Re: fop and cmyk: pdf-image vs svg

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 12.09.2008 17:24:37 Maximilian Gaerber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to post some results from my various approaches to get
> vector based graphics into my fop workflow with cmyk colors:
>
> While FOP can handle CMYK color values defined in XSL-FO documents quite
> nicely, CMYK colors defined in SVG graphics will end up as RGB in the
> output PDF (so far, Batik seems to mess this up). As well, none of the
> tools (Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape) I tested, preserve the CMYK color
> definitions when I save the SVG file. So I'd have to post-process the
> files and correct this.
>
> So far, the better alternative seems to be to not use SVG but PDF and
> use the pdf-image extension, see
> http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/development/fop/index.html to place the
> "PDF images". With PDF you've got tool support for CMYK and the graphics
> remain vector graphics - no need to rasterize.
>
> And it is as easy as:  <fo:external-graphic src="foo.pdf#page=1"/>
>
> @Jeremias: from your source code (Ver. 1.2, PDFBoxAdapter.java, line
> 223), it looks like you're reading out the MediaBox from the
> to-be-placed PDF?

Yes, that's right.

<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki