Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org> on 2008/05/16 16:18:53 UTC

advice on GPL compatibility

 Hello,

The GPL v3 license is declared to be compatible with Apache 2.0. If I
understood weel this, this mean I can create a GPL project that includes
some apache licensed code, without license conflict.

AFAIK Sun Java API under CDDL are not compliant with GPL (2 or 3). How can
Jboss distribute a JEE server if the license doesn't allow to include Java
APIs ???

Thanks for any clarification.

Re: advice on GPL compatibility

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Le 16 mai 08 à 16:18, nicolas de loof a écrit :

> AFAIK Sun Java API under CDDL are not compliant with GPL (2 or 3).
> How can Jboss distribute a JEE server if the license doesn't allow
> to include Java APIs ???

This compliance has always, to my taste, been moot and the GPL v3
changes nothing.

Last I asked at f2f as to understand the former incompatibility it
was explained to me in a very non-convincing way which was kind of
saying "well it should all be GPL if you want to distribute it or??".

Apache license (1.1. and 2.0) leaves people quiet, that's all we need
to know

I hope CDDL does the same well because we are releasing ASF code
under APL (or something else)!

paul

Re: advice on GPL compatibility

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 10:18 AM, nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The GPL v3 license is declared to be compatible with Apache 2.0. If I
> understood weel this, this mean I can create a GPL project that includes
> some apache licensed code, without license conflict.

That's my understanding too.

> AFAIK Sun Java API under CDDL are not compliant with GPL (2 or 3). How can
> Jboss distribute a JEE server if the license doesn't allow to include Java
> APIs ???
>
> Thanks for any clarification.

If you are asking a question about CDDL compatibility with GPL, this
is perhaps not the best place for such a question.

- Sam Ruby