Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <ma...@hp.com> on 2001/10/01 18:56:40 UTC

SSL configuration file

Hi,
	Regarding the SSL configuration, I was wondering if it'd be better
to have a separate httpd-ssl.conf file, which contains all the SSL specific
information - OR is it better to go with the 1.3 model itself (SSL config in
the httpd.conf) ?.. I can send out a patch if required.

Thx
-Madhu

Re: SSL configuration file

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> The reality is that most people just use the default
> config, and modify it to fit their needs.

I think that actually the reality is that most people
get a massaged config as part of their OS distribution,
which probably bears only a nodding resemblance to our
file.  The distribution builders have a long history of
mashing the tar out of our defaults. :-)

I'm with Ryan here -- I think it should be a separate
file.
--
#ken	P-)}

Re: SSL configuration file

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.
On Monday 01 October 2001 01:33 pm, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 01:32:38PM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > I would prefer to keep the SSL config out of the default config file,
> > because we aren't going to be distributing binaries with SSL.  At least,
> > I am assuming we won't, because there are countries that can't download
> > the SSL binaries legally, and we don't query the user's country at all.
>
> With proxy, the config is commented out, why not do the same thing
> for SSL?  -- justin

Because the proxy config is incredibly small.  The SSL config has historically
been huge.  If the proxy config ever has an example of every config directive,
and a paragraph for each, then I would suggest splitting it out into it's own
config file.

The reality is that most people just use the default config, and modify it to
fit their needs.  If we put the SSL config in there, we are just making it
harder for them to do that.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org

Re: SSL configuration file

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.

Re: SSL configuration file

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.

Re: SSL configuration file

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.
On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 12:56:40PM -0400, MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1) wrote:
> Hi,
> 	Regarding the SSL configuration, I was wondering if it'd be better
> to have a separate httpd-ssl.conf file, which contains all the SSL specific
> information - OR is it better to go with the 1.3 model itself (SSL config in
> the httpd.conf) ?.. I can send out a patch if required.

The site admin can always do:

Include conf/httpd-ssl.conf

if they wanted to split it out.  No need to do anything else.

IMHO, the example configs should be one file without includes.
We can leave it up as an exercise to the reader to split it out.
-- justin