Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Yosub Shin <sh...@illinois.edu> on 2014/09/13 16:39:13 UTC

Is there a Column Family level write lock?

Hi, I was writing a utility to change a partition key in a Column Family.
The way I'm doing it is by constructing a temporary table in the background
that has the new configuration(partition key), and then swap them instantly
with the original table by physically swapping SSTables files, and updating
and reloading the new schema.
My question is, in order to prevent undefined behavior when I'm swapping
the SSTables files and updating the schema, is it possible to block the
write operations on a Column Family across the cluster? I might also need
to block the read requests, but I figured having undefined behavior in
write path is more undesirable.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Yosub