Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2010/01/11 17:18:11 UTC

[VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0 RC9 as UIMA 2.3.0 incubating

This build keeps the uimacpp and sandbox components from the previous release
candidate (the download site on people.apache.org/~schor has hard links to the
previous artifacts - so they are guaranteed to be identical).

We've had a few sanity checks for the RC9 build, including installing the
Eclipse plugins via the RC9 update site on both linux and windows, and running
downloading & installing the base uima and uima-as binary components and running
the installation verification tests - and everything looks good.

This build consists of 4 major components: the core UIMA framework
(uimaj), the C++ enablement (uimacpp), the Asynchronous Scaleout
component (uima-as) and a set of annotators and other add-ons (sandbox).

These have been through more than 3 months of validation and testing (counting
the previous release candidates).  The build process was strengthened to include
running RAT (the Release Audit tool) automatically and verifying no RAT issues
are found (except for the uimacpp part, where it is still run and verified
manually).

The release artifacts are available on
http://people.apache.org/~schor/uima-release-candidates/2.3.0-RC9/

These artifacts include a partial version of the Eclipse Update Site for
the Eclipse plugins, but is complete for the 2.3.0 release.

The release is digitally signed by Marshall Schor for all the components
except for the C++ component, which is signed by Edward Epstein.

No new export control issues are needed for the components; only the uima-as
component continues to be classified as 5D002 because it includes Apache
ActiveMQ which is so classified (see http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/ )

Please vote on approving this release.  This vote is for all 4
components, together. After the UIMA committers vote, we will ask the
IPMC to vote.

[ ] +1 Release RC9, it's ready
[ ] -1 Don't release yet because of these issues which need to be
addressed first: ...

--Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0 RC9 as UIMA 2.3.0 incubating

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1
Tommaso

Posted by Tong Fin <to...@gmail.com>.
+1  Tong

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Marshall Schor wrote:
> This build keeps the uimacpp and sandbox components from the previous release
> candidate (the download site on people.apache.org/~schor has hard links to the
> previous artifacts - so they are guaranteed to be identical).
>
> We've had a few sanity checks for the RC9 build, including installing the
> Eclipse plugins via the RC9 update site on both linux and windows, and running
> downloading & installing the base uima and uima-as binary components and running
> the installation verification tests - and everything looks good.
>

> This build consists of 4 major components: the core UIMA framework
> (uimaj), the C++ enablement (uimacpp), the Asynchronous Scaleout
> component (uima-as) and a set of annotators and other add-ons (sandbox).
>
> These have been through more than 3 months of validation and testing (counting
> the previous release candidates).  The build process was strengthened to include
> running RAT (the Release Audit tool) automatically and verifying no RAT issues
> are found (except for the uimacpp part, where it is still run and verified
> manually).
>
> The release artifacts are available on
> http://people.apache.org/~schor/uima-release-candidates/2.3.0-RC9/
>
> These artifacts include a partial version of the Eclipse Update Site for
> the Eclipse plugins, but is complete for the 2.3.0 release.
>
> The release is digitally signed by Marshall Schor for all the components
> except for the C++ component, which is signed by Edward Epstein.
>
> No new export control issues are needed for the components; only the uima-as
> component continues to be classified as 5D002 because it includes Apache
> ActiveMQ which is so classified (see http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/ )
>
> Please vote on approving this release.  This vote is for all 4
> components, together. After the UIMA committers vote, we will ask the
> IPMC to vote.
>
> [ ] +1 Release RC9, it's ready
> [ ] -1 Don't release yet because of these issues which need to be
> addressed first: ...
>
> --Marshall

+1   -Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0 RC9 as UIMA 2.3.0 incubating

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
+1

Jörn

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0 RC9 as UIMA 2.3.0 incubating

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Marshall Schor wrote:
> This build keeps the uimacpp and sandbox components from the previous release
> candidate (the download site on people.apache.org/~schor has hard links to the
> previous artifacts - so they are guaranteed to be identical).
>
> We've had a few sanity checks for the RC9 build, including installing the
> Eclipse plugins via the RC9 update site on both linux and windows, and running
> downloading & installing the base uima and uima-as binary components and running
> the installation verification tests - and everything looks good.
>

> This build consists of 4 major components: the core UIMA framework
> (uimaj), the C++ enablement (uimacpp), the Asynchronous Scaleout
> component (uima-as) and a set of annotators and other add-ons (sandbox).
>
> These have been through more than 3 months of validation and testing (counting
> the previous release candidates).  The build process was strengthened to include
> running RAT (the Release Audit tool) automatically and verifying no RAT issues
> are found (except for the uimacpp part, where it is still run and verified
> manually).
>
> The release artifacts are available on
> http://people.apache.org/~schor/uima-release-candidates/2.3.0-RC9/
>
> These artifacts include a partial version of the Eclipse Update Site for
> the Eclipse plugins, but is complete for the 2.3.0 release.
>
> The release is digitally signed by Marshall Schor for all the components
> except for the C++ component, which is signed by Edward Epstein.
>
> No new export control issues are needed for the components; only the uima-as
> component continues to be classified as 5D002 because it includes Apache
> ActiveMQ which is so classified (see http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/ )
>
> Please vote on approving this release.  This vote is for all 4
> components, together. After the UIMA committers vote, we will ask the
> IPMC to vote.
>
> [ ] +1 Release RC9, it's ready
> [ ] -1 Don't release yet because of these issues which need to be
> addressed first: ...
>
> --Marshall

The vote has been open more than 72 hours (excluding weekends).

It passes with votes as follows:
  Marshall Schor +1
  Tommaso Teofili +1
  Tong Fin +1
  Adam Lally +1
  Michael Baessler +1
  Jaroslaw Cwiklik +1
  Jörn Kottmann +1
  Jukka Zitting (mentor) +1

No other votes were received.

Thanks, everyone, for the time you took in preparing, testing, and
reviewing this release!

Now I'll ask the IPMC to vote on this release.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
On 1/11/2010 17:18, Marshall Schor wrote:
> [ ] +1 Release RC9, it's ready
> [ ] -1 Don't release yet because of these issues which need to be
> addressed first: ...

+1

--Thilo

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.
+1

-- Michael

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
> Right, will do.  You're speaking of, in particular, the source release
> package, I presume (not the binary ones), right?

Correct.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA 2.3.0 RC9 as UIMA 2.3.0 incubating

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
>
>> Please vote on approving this release.  This vote is for all 4
>> components, together.
>>

> [x] +1 Release RC9, it's ready
>
> Though I should note that the build process is still notoriously
> complex. It would be really nice if the whole release could be built
> with a single command form the base directory of the release package.
> This would help lower the entry barrier for new users.

Thanks, Jukka, good critique.  I think this should be a high priority
work item for the next release.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
> This build keeps the uimacpp and sandbox components from the previous release
> candidate (the download site on people.apache.org/~schor has hard links to the
> previous artifacts - so they are guaranteed to be identical).
>
> We've had a few sanity checks for the RC9 build, including installing the
> Eclipse plugins via the RC9 update site on both linux and windows, and running
> downloading & installing the base uima and uima-as binary components and running
> the installation verification tests - and everything looks good.
>

> This build consists of 4 major components: the core UIMA framework
> (uimaj), the C++ enablement (uimacpp), the Asynchronous Scaleout
> component (uima-as) and a set of annotators and other add-ons (sandbox).
>
> These have been through more than 3 months of validation and testing (counting
> the previous release candidates).  The build process was strengthened to include
> running RAT (the Release Audit tool) automatically and verifying no RAT issues
> are found (except for the uimacpp part, where it is still run and verified
> manually).
>
> The release artifacts are available on
> http://people.apache.org/~schor/uima-release-candidates/2.3.0-RC9/
>
> These artifacts include a partial version of the Eclipse Update Site for
> the Eclipse plugins, but is complete for the 2.3.0 release.
>
> The release is digitally signed by Marshall Schor for all the components
> except for the C++ component, which is signed by Edward Epstein.
>
> No new export control issues are needed for the components; only the uima-as
> component continues to be classified as 5D002 because it includes Apache
> ActiveMQ which is so classified (see http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/ )
>
> Please vote on approving this release.  This vote is for all 4
> components, together. After the UIMA committers vote, we will ask the
> IPMC to vote.
>
> [ ] +1 Release RC9, it's ready
> [ ] -1 Don't release yet because of these issues which need to be
> addressed first: ...

+1

Adam