Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Tom <li...@yahoo.com> on 2013/07/06 17:45:35 UTC

Printing Envelopes in Open Office

Trying to print envelopes in Open Office 3.4.1 is like dealing with a disobedient autistic child on steroids:

1) I cannot create a stand-alone envelope--Open Office document insists that I make it part of a letter document, complete with an "insert" command that is meaningless & confusing to the user who only wants to print out an envelope;
2) The program insists on defaulting to C5 as an envelope.  If I change it to #10 and then navigate to another screen to make other changes, I discover that it is back at C5 when I return to the screen I navigated away from.  Since most people print out #10 business envelopes, C5 is an inappropriate default, anyway.

3) The page preview function is worthless: what it shows is nowhere near what my printer prints out.  Often the return address or the addressee address is not printed.  I'm forced to print the same envelope out five or six times in order to get something resembling a sendable mailpiece, and the addressee's address is always too close to the bottom.
4) No one denies that somewhere buried in the program might be solutions for these issues.  However, finding them is like looking for a needle in a haystack, making the solutions effectively non-existent.

Won't SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THE INS AND OUTS OF OPEN OFFICE PLEASE ADVISE HOW THESE PROBLEMS CAN BE OVERCOME OR COULD SOMEONE WITH SOME PROGRAMMING ACUMEN PLEASE FIX THESE ISSUES AND SEND A PATCH OR BE HONEST ENOUGH TO DECLARE THE PRINT ENVELOPE FUNCTION UNUSABLE?  I'd appreciate some sort of response.  Man up, Gentlemen.