Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Mark Gardner <mk...@vt.edu> on 2011/08/16 19:03:56 UTC

What is your work process?

Now that I have a working installation of 2.2.1, I am switching gears to add
IPv6 support. In preparation for that, I would like to know what work
process works best? Do you make modifications on a live (testing) instance?
I suppose the answer will depend on whether the work is on the front-end or
back-end. I believe IPv6 will touch both. Anyway, any advice for developing
on VCL?

Mark

--
Mark Gardner

Re: What is your work process?

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Mark,

I can speak to the frontend side of things.

I generally work on a development setup we have.  For a lot of the work on the
frontend, you don't even need an active management node checking in to the
database.  You can set managementnode.lastcheckin to some date far in the
future and the frontend will happily consider that management node to be
active.

However, there are times I need to do development against our production
system for one reason or another.  In that case, I'll either use a separate
install of the frontend that is pointed at our production database, or I'll
wrap any changes with an if statement that checks for the logged in user being
me or the connecting computer being my machine.  If you're using an
authentication method such as shibboleth that causes apache to provide an
entry in $_SERVER for the logged in user, checking for the logged in user is
easy.  If you're just using local or ldap accounts, it'd probably be easier to
check for the connection coming from your machine, i.e.

if($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] == 'x.x.x.x') {
   # put debugging code here
}

I've never tried that method with an IPv6 address.  I'm assuming apache still
provides REMOTE_ADDR for IPv6 addresses.

Once I have made a set of changes that I want to roll in to our production
system, I generally create 2 tarballs - the first is a tarball of production
files that will be updated so that I have a way to quickly revert the changes,
and the second is of the files I have modified.  Then, I untar the new stuff
over the old stuff and quickly make sure things load okay.  If not, then I can
untar the backup tarball to fix it again.

Josh

On Tuesday August 16, 2011, Mark Gardner wrote:
> Now that I have a working installation of 2.2.1, I am switching gears to
> add IPv6 support. In preparation for that, I would like to know what work
> process works best? Do you make modifications on a live (testing)
> instance? I suppose the answer will depend on whether the work is on the
> front-end or back-end. I believe IPv6 will touch both. Anyway, any advice
> for developing on VCL?
>
> Mark
- --
Josh Thompson