Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by "Youngwoo Kim (김영우)" <yw...@apache.org> on 2019/07/17 07:09:21 UTC

[DISCUSS] Roadmap for the next release.1.5? 2.0?

Hi folks,

After 1.4.0 release, there is no discussion for the next release yet. so I
believe we need to share the ideas and prioritize the items for
development.

And also https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-3123 and
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F2Gxu8GARQDZXgqHn12LKkQ5wCV_AF4b_tVmjYB6YfA/edit
are good starting point for this discussion.

My personal preferences are:
 - Distribution based on Hadoop 3
 - Up-to-date BigPetStore
 - Software stacks and framework for streaming data & Machine Learning
 - Containers and Cloud Native: What? How?

It would be great to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Youngwoo

Re: [DISCUSS] Roadmap for the next release.1.5? 2.0?

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.
I'm super up for Hadoop 3.

One other direction we can go for is to integrate with ML life-cycle tools
so that the bigdata -> ML experiments -> production models loop is
completed as a whole. One option is MLflow. This is similar to KubeFlow
discussion brought up by Jay however we see no feasible plan to integration
with Kubernetes and then KubeFlow. MLflow is much lightweight and probably
more easier to integrate.

I'll spend sometime to further understand MLflow first.

- Evans

Ganesh Raju <ga...@linaro.org> 於 2019年7月18日 週四 上午4:09寫道:

Posted by Ganesh Raju <ga...@linaro.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Ugly... I wonder if it means that Hadoop development has decided to go
full-parcel (and its irks) and make Hadoop a boutique software?

At any rate, I believe this will slower the adoption of it to a point of where
it is only available through a single vendor left in the commercial market.
But that, fortunately, not my problem to resolve ;)

Cos

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Hi

hadoop changed their scripts to break when not absolutely everything is in place.

The start scripts for yarn for example expect to all jars for hdfs, yarn and mapreduce to be present. They renamed (to be precise deprecated the old name) of environment variables in a way it looks more convenient, but it will mix up hadoop subprojects. we cannot use independent /run and /var dirs as the debian build rules and some other unwritten rules of linux packaging demand in order to be installed independently.

So hadoop has tied everything together. without rewriting their build scripts it is not possible to have yarn without hdfs or hdfs without yarn to be installed independently.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Hi,