Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2005/01/01 17:00:18 UTC

building 1.1.2 on win32

I'm trying to be a helpful citizen and build/upload a 1.1.2 win32 .zip
for public consumption.

I'm having no problems building the 1.1.2 tag, but I just noticed that
branko's 1.1.2 zipfile contains a whole extra 'share\locale\' folder
full of .mo message translations.
I've never distributed these before, and it seems like a good idea.

(gettext is already required to build in win32:  we distribute libiconv
and libintl, and all the iconv locales in our zipfile.  I guess it
makes sense to distribute .mo message translations too.)

Looking through our INSTALL file, I see nothing in the win32 build
instructions that explains how to use win32 gettext tools to compile
the .po files.  Can someone explain?  Shouldn't we augment INSTALL?

Re: building 1.1.2 on win32

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2005, at 8:21 PM, Branko Čibej wrote:
>

>> Maybe, but that's probably unnecessary. In any case, I use a "normal"
>> gettext package for building, and only replace intl.dll in the distro.
>

> So should I do the same?  I'm trying to figure out how to modify my
> build scripts and release zip packages as functional as yours?

Yup. make_dist.py is your friend as far as packaging is concerned.

> I guess I should grab the newest win32 gettext and build it with iconv
> support turned off, then?

You don't have to do that. You can keep the same gettext while building,
just put the modified intl.dll into the package. You can use the one at

    http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=2627

-- Brane

Re: building 1.1.2 on win32

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: building 1.1.2 on win32

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> I have another problem, brane.  :-)
>
> On the users@ list, I've been getting reports that my 1.1.2 .zip
> includes a version of libintl that breaks existing 1.1.1 mod_dav_svn
> installations.  Apparently your 1.1.1 zip included libintl 0.14, and I
> included 0.12?  Or something like that.

The libintl I put in the distro was compiled with iconv support turned
off, so we don't include an iconv.dll. That's because a) we don't _want_
our intl.dll to do any conversions, and b) it's quite unhygienic to have
SVN depend on two iconv packages. I'm guessing your intl.dll was
unchanged, and the missing iconv.dll bit people.

Re: building 1.1.2 on win32

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: building 1.1.2 on win32

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Re: building 1.1.2 on win32

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jan 1, 2005, at 7:37 PM, steven.higgan wrote:

> And a whole lot of these errors
> add.c
> ..\..\..\subversion\svn_private_config.h(64) : fatal error C1083:
> Cannot
> open include file: 'libintl.h': No such file or directory

Seems like some environement variable of yours is incomplete.

> In fact now that I have copied it all out I seem to remember the win32
> build
> docs saying not to use the /USEENV switch for msdev.

?  I definitely /USEENV when building subversion.

> What I want to end up being able to do is run a nightly automated win32
> build run over svn & dependencies, if any errors / warnings come up
> (maybe
> not soo much warnings) post to the dev list with the details.

We already have an svn-breakage@subversion.tigris.org list exactly for
this purpose.  There are several volunteers that do nightly builds on
different OSes and mail the results there.... including me.  My win32
box builds the HEAD of trunk every night.

Here are my build scripts if you want to use them.  Just check them out
of my repository:

http://svn.red-bean.com/repos/sussman/subversion/win32-build/

RE: building 1.1.2 on win32

Posted by "steven.higgan" <st...@orcon.net.nz>.
> I'm trying to be a helpful citizen and build/upload a 1.1.2 win32 .zip
> for public consumption.

You bet me too it, abeit it would have been a couple more days before I got
my head around the compile errors I have been getting.

Speaking of compile errors, I have been able to get everything but
subversion to build.

Using to make
F:\SVN\src-trunk>python gen-make.py -t dsp --with-berkeley-db=db4-win32
--with-openssl=openssl-0.9.7d --with-zlib=zlib --enable-nls
--enable-bdb-in-apr-util

And to build
F:\SVN\src-trunk>msdev subversion_msvc.dsw /USEENV /MAKE "__ALL_TESTS__ -
Win32 Release"

Im getting errors:
F:\SVN\src-trunk\apr\include\apr_want.h(51): Could not find the file
strings.h.
F:\SVN\src-trunk\apr\include\apr_want.h(84): Could not find the file
sys/uio.h.
F:\SVN\src-trunk\apr\include\apr_want.h(102): Could not find the file
arpa/inet.h.

And a whole lot of these errors
add.c
..\..\..\subversion\svn_private_config.h(64) : fatal error C1083: Cannot
open include file: 'libintl.h': No such file or directory

In fact now that I have copied it all out I seem to remember the win32 build
docs saying not to use the /USEENV switch for msdev.

Guess I will give it a go.

> Looking through our INSTALL file, I see nothing in the win32 build
> instructions that explains how to use win32 gettext tools to compile
> the .po files.  Can someone explain?  Shouldn't we augment INSTALL?

Yes please do.

What I want to end up being able to do is run a nightly automated win32
build run over svn & dependencies, if any errors / warnings come up (maybe
not soo much warnings) post to the dev list with the details.

That is if of course nobody else is doing it - if they are, at least I have
learned to build svn.

Steven Higgan - 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin New Zealand
.net geek