Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@apache.org> on 2003/11/11 04:13:46 UTC

incubator website is hosed

The /www/incubator.apache.org/ directory tree on minotaur contains
both a checked-out incubator-site *and* the generated output of a
forrestbot via incubator.  It obviously can't be both.

Personally, I've had my fill of this kind of crap being left on
our public infrastructure.  I shouldn't have to wait days to update
a trivial website.  If someone doesn't beat me to it, I am going to
replace it with Anakia tomorrow.

....Roy

Re: incubator website is hosed

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>> Can I suggest putting this someplace more obvious, like
>> /www/incubator.apache.org/UPDATING, or something?
>
> How to render and update the _incubator_ site is here:
> http://incubator.apache.org/howtoparticipate.html#Updating+the+site

Oops, I was forgetting. It's also in the README.txt file in "incubator" CVS.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: incubator website is hosed

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> How to render and update the _incubator_ site is here

Improved docs, should be better now:

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>>Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>
>>>Personally, I've had my fill of this kind of crap being left on
>>>our public infrastructure.  I shouldn't have to wait days to update
>>>a trivial website.
>>
>>Indeed. I think by now its been pointed out several times exactly how
>>to do it. Take a look at
>>
>>http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org&msgId=1102214
>
> Can I suggest putting this someplace more obvious, like
> /www/incubator.apache.org/UPDATING, or something?

How to render and update the _incubator_ site is here:
http://incubator.apache.org/howtoparticipate.html#Updating+the+site

It needs a couple of fixes but it's basically there. What is missing is
the explanation that each project has it's own method of generating the
site, and that info IMHO should be part of the project docs.

For the moment I've added the link to the above message to the wiki
(which is the nearest to a project website that we have) and I'm
updating the incubator docs.

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Leo Simons wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
> > Personally, I've had my fill of this kind of crap being left on
> > our public infrastructure.  I shouldn't have to wait days to update
> > a trivial website.
>
> Indeed. I think by now its been pointed out several times exactly how
> to do it. Take a look at
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org&msgId=1102214

Can I suggest putting this someplace more obvious, like
/www/incubator.apache.org/UPDATING, or something?

	Brian

Re: incubator website is hosed

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> The /www/incubator.apache.org/ directory tree on minotaur contains
> both a checked-out incubator-site *and* the generated output of a
> forrestbot via incubator.  It obviously can't be both.

or can it be?

IIRC, forrestbot just generates the website, then commits changes to
the incubator-site module, which is then checked out again on minotaur.
There is nothing stopping you from generating the website yourself,
committing it yourself, then checking it out yourself on minotaur.

The process, is, in fact, identical to the one most projects that use
anakia follow, except forrest is used instead. And, to make things
easier, there's some cronjob running that handles two stages of the
process automatically.

> Personally, I've had my fill of this kind of crap being left on
> our public infrastructure.  I shouldn't have to wait days to update
> a trivial website.

Indeed. I think by now its been pointed out several times exactly how
to do it. Take a look at

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org&msgId=1102214

> If someone doesn't beat me to it, I am going to
> replace it with Anakia tomorrow.

IMNSHO, bad idea. Rather than force all of the geronimo people
to learn an old tool, its best to invest 15 minutes in learning a new
tool.

The geronimo site is built using maven, which uses anakia under the
covers, but makes things look a lot better. An interesting page might be
http://maven.apache.org/start/anakia.html.

cheers!

- Leo

Re: incubator website is hosed

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com>.
Perfect! Thanks!!

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Could whoever has some knowledge of how the website is setup
> and constructed simply make whatever changes are required
> to "post" the Letter with a short note that we are
> actively reviewing not only the specific claims but also
> the code base in general...

Doing it.

I will write:

"

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 09:12 AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> No - there was a real site at one point, and even done in forrest.
>> It wasn't the incubator boilerplate.  I know because I did it (along
>> with some others) when geronimo started.
>> It's really important right now that we have a site to deal with the
>> JBoss assertion that Geronimo developers took JBoss code and
>> relicensed it.
>
> IMHO the project websited do not belong to the "incubator" CVS, but
> the the project CVS.
>
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> > What happened to the stuff that we did have?
>
> You mean geronimo/index.html? It's in CVS, but not linked from
> anywhere, hence not on the site. I'm fixing it right now.

I mean there was a page that had some simple FAQs answered, a pointer
to the wiki, a pointer to the maven-generated site that James was
playing with, etc.  That would have been the ideal place to put the
JBoss letter, so we can show we are actively working to address their
issues.

geir

geirm@optonline.net

Re: incubator website is hosed

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 09:54 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> No - there was a real site at one point, and even done in forrest.  It
>> wasn't the incubator boilerplate.  I know because I did it (along with
>> some others) when geronimo started.
>>
>> It's really important right now that we have a site to deal with the
>> JBoss assertion that Geronimo developers took JBoss code and
>> relicensed
> it.
>
> Is this what you were looking for?
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/incubator/site/projects/geronimo/
> index.xml
>
> Judging from the change log (there are copies of that file in one form
> or
> another all over the attics, but people did a good job of keeping the
> CVS
> history), that is the file I remember seeing.

Yep.

geirm@optonline.net

RE: incubator website is hosed

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> The /www/incubator.apache.org/ directory tree on minotaur contains
> both a checked-out incubator-site *and* the generated output of a
> forrestbot via incubator.  It obviously can't be both.

I look at the site and it's all consistent and the pages are uptodate
with the incubator-site CVS. I look in /www/incubator.apache.org/ and I
see that the incubator-site directories are ok. The forrestbot commits
via CVS, and AFAIK is currently stopped, so I don't understand what you
are talking about.

/www/incubator.apache.org (OK)
     /drafts (empty old CVS dir)
     /forms  (empty old CVS dir)
     /images (OK)
     /incubation  (OK)
     /learn       (OK)
     /mail  (hand-created?)
     /projects  (OK)
       /altrmi  (OK)
       /ftpserver (OK)
       /geronimo (old CVS dirs)
     /skin (OK)

> Personally, I've had my fill of this kind of crap being left on
> our public infrastructure.  I shouldn't have to wait days to update
> a trivial website.

And in fact you don't have to wait. I have no problem whatsoever in
doing so.

> If someone doesn't beat me to it, I am going to
> replace it with Anakia tomorrow.

It's not a tool problem AFAIK.

I have said more than once on this list that I would take care in
updating the site if others do not want to do so. So just edit the files
in CVS, what's the problem?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Tuesday, November 11, 2003 2:51 AM -0500 Henri Yandell

<http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/anakia.html>  -- justin

Re: incubator website is hosed

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>

>>Personally, I've had my fill of this kind of crap being left on
>>our public infrastructure.  I shouldn't have to wait days to update
>>a trivial website.  If someone doesn't beat me to it, I am going to
>>replace it with Anakia tomorrow.
>>

>Slightly off topic, but isn't it about time that cvs.apache.org/anakia
>existed? And that the xdocs notation got standardised in some way?

yep. Both Forrest and Maven try to fill that gap.

cheers!

- LSD

Re: incubator website is hosed

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 02:51 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> Personally, I've had my fill of this kind of crap being left on
>> our public infrastructure.  I shouldn't have to wait days to update
>> a trivial website.  If someone doesn't beat me to it, I am going to
>> replace it with Anakia tomorrow.
>
> Slightly off topic, but isn't it about time that cvs.apache.org/anakia
> existed? And that the xdocs notation got standardised in some way?
>
> I'm using it in a bunch of places, but still have no real clue where
> the
> real anakia lives etc.

It's a part of velocity.

And quite frankly, the better solution is DVSL, also from Velocity -
it's 100% compatible with the xdocs digested by Anakia, and easier to
write.  It's declarative like XSLT, but lets you do procedural Velocity
wherever you want.

geir

geirm@optonline.net

Re: incubator website is hosed