Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Gav <gm...@apache.org> on 2016/02/15 09:04:37 UTC

Files to exclude from buildbot rat tests

HI All,

markt has added some exclusions recently that are preventing a successful
rat run on buildbot.
(More accurately the xml file produced is malformed due to inclusions of
bad headers)

Here are what I can see as the remaining invalid files; adding these to the
rat-excludes file should enable a succesful run for tomcat 7,8 and trunk
(9).

tomcat-7-trunk - output/dist/src/res/side_left.bmp

tomcat-7-trunk -
output/dist/src/webapps/docs/tribes/leader-election-message-arrives.dia

tomcat-trunk - output/dist/side_left.bmp

HTH

Gav...

Re: Files to exclude from buildbot rat tests

Posted by Gav <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 8:15 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 15/02/2016 08:04, Gav wrote:
> > HI All,
> >
> > markt has added some exclusions recently that are preventing a successful
> > rat run on buildbot.
>
> Huh? You told me it was failing and asked me to exclude some files.

My sentence was constructed really bad there - I meant you added some
exclusions of files that were preventing a successful run, not that your
exclusions caused it.

> > (More accurately the xml file produced is malformed due to inclusions of
> > bad headers)
> >
> > Here are what I can see as the remaining invalid files; adding these to
> the
> > rat-excludes file should enable a succesful run for tomcat 7,8 and trunk
> > (9).
> >

> > tomcat-7-trunk - output/dist/src/res/side_left.bmp
>
> Added **/*.bmp
>
> > tomcat-7-trunk -
> > output/dist/src/webapps/docs/tribes/leader-election-message-arrives.dia
>
> Added **/*.dia
>
> > tomcat-trunk - output/dist/side_left.bmp
>
> Already excluded but I extended to to **/*.bmp
>

> Great thanks.

Gav...

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
>> On 15/02/2016 08:04, Gav wrote:
>>> HI All,
>>>
>>> markt has added some exclusions recently that are preventing a successful
>>> rat run on buildbot.
>>
>> Huh? You told me it was failing and asked me to exclude some files.
>>
>>> (More accurately the xml file produced is malformed due to inclusions of
>>> bad headers)

While Tomcat can exclude *.bmp and *.dia files, the questions are

1)  RAT should not generate a broken XML file.

2)  RAT successfully detects *.gif, *.woff as binary.  Why does it
fail to detect *.bmp? *.dia ?

For 1) I filed this issue for RAT project:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAT-211

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Files to exclude from buildbot rat tests

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> On 15/02/2016 08:04, Gav wrote:
>> HI All,
>>
>> markt has added some exclusions recently that are preventing a successful
>> rat run on buildbot.
>
> Huh? You told me it was failing and asked me to exclude some files.
>
>> (More accurately the xml file produced is malformed due to inclusions of
>> bad headers)
>>
>> Here are what I can see as the remaining invalid files; adding these to the
>> rat-excludes file should enable a succesful run for tomcat 7,8 and trunk
>> (9).
>>

>> tomcat-7-trunk - output/dist/src/res/side_left.bmp
>
> Added **/*.bmp
>
>> tomcat-7-trunk -
>> output/dist/src/webapps/docs/tribes/leader-election-message-arrives.dia
>
> Added **/*.dia
>
>> tomcat-trunk - output/dist/side_left.bmp
>
> Already excluded but I extended to to **/*.bmp

Re:

1. Only Tomcat 7 and Tomcat 9 configurations were updated, but not Tomcat 8.

2. I see that the "**/*.bmp" pattern does work.

(I feared that it does not.)

As such, our rat-excludes.txt files can be simplified a lot.

3. Steps to reproduce the original problem:

I do not see any failures being reported by Buildbot ([1] ->
tomcat-trunk -> build number -> "shell_5 RAT Report Complete" step)
neither before nor after the change, but the issue that Gav reported
here can be observed manually by the following steps:

- Go to http://tomcat.apache.org/ci.html#Buildbot [1]  -> "Published files" link
- Download rat-output.xml
- Try to open it in a web browser (or XML editor). The file is malformed.
- If you view through the file, there are some blocks of binary data
- For Tomcat 9 those binary blocks are header samples from *.dia files, e.g.
[[[
<resource name='/home/buildslave32/slave32/tomcat-trunk/build/output/dist/src/webapps/docs/tribes/leader-election-initiate-election.dia'><header-sample>
]]]

For Tomcat 8 there are samples from *.bmp files as well.

The rat-output.xml file for Tomcat 9 does not have string ".bmp" in
it, but Tomcat 8 one has it. So the exclusion pattern **/*.bmp used in
Tomcat 9 works successfully.

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/ci.html#Buildbot

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Files to exclude from buildbot rat tests

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.