Posted to repo-maintainers@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2008/12/04 14:07:36 UTC

adding .NET artifacts to the central repository

Back in August, Shane, Carlos, Wendy and I agreed on a naming
convention for NMaven artifacts and that they should be included in
the central repository: http://markmail.org/message/6vzevjulw3lak3an

I uploaded a sample repository on vmbuild, with some NUnit poms: http://vmbuild.apache.org/archiva/repository/dotnet/org/nunit/NUnit.Framework/2.4.8.0/NUnit.Framework-2.4.8.0.pom

The POM format, containing no plugins, will be compatible between the
different .NET tooling as long as they adhere to the same <type/>
naming scheme. The POM uses the one from the NMaven trunk as it
concluded in the incubator.

I'd make a change to the above to take Wendy's suggestion to rename
the artifact nunit.framework (lowercase) and remove the final name for
consistency with the original download.

If there are no final objections here I'd like to start accepting and
processing upload requests and documenting the conventions on the repo
section of the Maven site.

Thanks,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: adding .NET artifacts to the central repository

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Shane,

Sorry should have thought about whether you were subscribed to the
list. It's probably the best place to discuss it, let me know if you
are so I can drop the CC.

On 05/12/2008, at 7:44 AM, Shane Isbell wrote:

> I'm in agreement that we shouldn't be pushing .NET assemblies out
> just yet.

ok, are you still in agreement that /maven2 is the best eventual
place, or a separate repo on central?

I'm fine with keeping it in "beta" and subject to change for now,
which is essentially what the current repo is, but I think it'd be
good to move it off vmbuild now.

> One area I'd like to discuss is tying together keys with group Ids.
> So if
> someone from Apache (or where ever), compiles the artifact, they own
> it and
> should use their own groupId for the artifact. A couple of years ago,
> compiling a version of NUnit with .NET or Mono would result in an
> assembly
> that was incompatible with DotGNU, so I had to make some tweaks to
> the NUnit
> source to get it to work, resulting in a different artifact. I would
> not
> want to put that up in the org.nunit namespace.

Sure, this is compatible with the current central policy.

> We could also do signature verification to group id before allowing
> the
> upload.
>
> Personally, I like the upper case on the artifact Ids, as this
> follows .NET
> standard conventions, but it's not something I care about dictating to
> people. If a project wants to put it under their own group ID (since
> changing the name requires recompiling or at least modification of the
> assembly), then I don't really care what they do in terms of naming
> the
> artifact. I think in the case of the original nunit.framework class
> it is
> already lowercase. So that's the one that would be used.

Yep, that's what Wendy was suggesting as well.

> A couple of other issues we should address: requiring assemblies being
> signed before loading into public repo;

Agreed. In the nunit case, they are the original artifacts, and from
what I can tell they are signed.

> and looking into what meta-data we
> want embedded within the assembly. I could see groupId as a meta-tag
> being
> very useful.

You mean defining a common meta-tag name that others would use? I
think that makes sense. Requiring it might be limiting though, and re-
signing things to add it in afterwards wouldn't be practical.

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
[...]

signed before loading into public repo; and looking into what meta-data we
want embedded within the assembly. I could see groupId as a meta-tag being
very useful.

Shane

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.