Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Alejandro Caceres <ac...@hyperiongray.com> on 2019/07/02 19:28:19 UTC

New Project?

Hey Folks,

I'm interested in submitting a project as a seedling and am looking exactly
where to start. The project is already off the ground, being used by many,
is stable, reasonably mature (it's in alpha release), open source, and
already Apache licensed. I've been looking at a lot of resources to how
best to submit this to Apache and from what I understand I need to:

Find a "champion/mentor" for the project and a "sponsor" -> submit an
incubator application -> wait (or do i submit for a vote on general@?)  ->
... -> profit :)

For a bit more context, my project is http://scylla.sh or
https://github.com/acaceres2176/scylla. This project aggregates and makes
searchable database leaks and other information security data that is easy
for attackers to find (they have blackhat and underground resources) but
difficult for security professionals trying to defend their network (they
cannot buy stolen data, are not plugged into the blackhat hacker community,
and frankly generally don't know "where to start"). The Scylla engine aims
to even the playing field by making this data available and completely free
for everyone. The feed is meant to power threat intelligence engines to aid
in the defense of both large corporate networks, but also be accessible to
an average user who wants to check what information of theirs has been
leaked. It's a passion project of mine and have been working on it for
several months already. We have several terabytes of data and good
attention from the infosec community.

Anyway, sorry for the brain dump above, but I suppose I should mainly ask -
where do I go from here? Do I simply ask this mailing list if there is a
sponsor and champion willing to bring this in as a podling?

Thanks!
Alex

--
___

Alejandro Caceres
Hyperion Gray, LLC
Owner/CTO

Re: New Project?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@gmail.com>.
Existing commiters can start new projects in the labs labs.apache.org

D.

Re: New Project?

Posted by Andrew Garza <ag...@gmail.com>.
Thank u for the info.

Re: New Project?

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Re: New Project?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Thanks for the response. You are sort of correct, I would say the end goal
> is a service

We do have a couple of project along those lines eg. pony mail and kibble,, so that may not be an issue.

Is there an existing code base and a community using it?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: New Project?

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Re: New Project?

Posted by Alejandro Caceres <ac...@hyperiongray.com>.
Hi Matt,

> [...]

> aims
> > to even the playing field by making this data available and completely
> free
> > for everyone. The feed is meant to power threat intelligence engines to
> aid
> > in the defense of both large corporate networks, but also be accessible
> > an average user who wants to check what information of theirs has been
> > leaked. It's a passion project of mine and have been working on it for
> > several months already. We have several terabytes of data and good
> > attention from the infosec community.
> >
> > Anyway, sorry for the brain dump above, but I suppose I should mainly
> ask -
> > where do I go from here? Do I simply ask this mailing list if there is a
> > sponsor and champion willing to bring this in as a podling?

___

Alejandro Caceres
Hyperion Gray, LLC
Owner/CTO

Re: New Project?

Posted by Alejandro Caceres <ac...@hyperiongray.com>.
Hi Matt,

> [...]

> aims
> > to even the playing field by making this data available and completely
> free
> > for everyone. The feed is meant to power threat intelligence engines to
> aid
> > in the defense of both large corporate networks, but also be accessible
> > an average user who wants to check what information of theirs has been
> > leaked. It's a passion project of mine and have been working on it for
> > several months already. We have several terabytes of data and good
> > attention from the infosec community.
> >
> > Anyway, sorry for the brain dump above, but I suppose I should mainly
> ask -
> > where do I go from here? Do I simply ask this mailing list if there is a
> > sponsor and champion willing to bring this in as a podling?

___

Alejandro Caceres
Hyperion Gray, LLC
Owner/CTO

Re: New Project?

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: New Project?

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: New Project?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 9:28 PM Alejandro Caceres
<ac...@hyperiongray.com> wrote:
> ...I've been looking at a lot of resources to how
> best to submit this to Apache...

Note that http://incubator.apache.org/cookbook/ might have useful
information as well.

-Bertrand