Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by "Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan" <ra...@huawei.com> on 2012/01/20 14:59:22 UTC

LogSyncer thread not shuttting down

Hi devs

In the LogSyncer run() we keep looping till this.isInterrupted flag is set.

But in some cases the DFSclient is consuming the Interrupted exception.  So
we are running into infinite loop

In some shutdown cases.

I would suggest that as we are the ones who tries to close down the
LogSyncerThread we can introduce a variable like

Close or shutdown and based on the state of this flag along with
isInterrupted() we can make the thread stop.

If the above method is ok, I can submit a patch for the same.

One more thing is, is it ok to close the LogSyncerThread before it completes
all the sync?

Regards

Ram

Re: LogSyncer thread not shuttting down

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.
Sounds like a good plan to me.

________________________________

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan <
ramkrishna.vasudevan@huawei.com> wrote:

> Hi devs
>

> In the LogSyncer run() we keep looping till this.isInterrupted flag is set.
>

> But in some cases the DFSclient is consuming the Interrupted exception.  So
> we are running into infinite loop
>
> In some shutdown cases.
>

> I would suggest that as we are the ones who tries to close down the
> LogSyncerThread we can introduce a variable like
>
> Close or shutdown and based on the state of this flag along with
> isInterrupted() we can make the thread stop.
>

> If the above method is ok, I can submit a patch for the same.
>

> One more thing is, is it ok to close the LogSyncerThread before it
> completes
> all the sync?

I'd think you'd let it finish whatever sync its on.... before exiting but
otherwise, all above sounds good to me.

St.Ack