Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jared Richardson <Ja...@sas.com> on 2005/02/23 19:48:51 UTC

Clustered Maven?

Hi all,

Sorry if this a complete newbie question. I've perused some of the docs and Googled and I'm not seeing an answer.

I am interested in setting up a group of Maven boxes that can all build a set of projects. I'd like to have a front-end proxy/manager accept build requests and farm them out to one of the Maven boxes.

This type of configuration gives you a level of failover. Does Maven have a similar capability?

If it doesn't, could you trick it by using a common network share to hold the local workspaces? This would make all the local files available to both machines? If the proxy/manager were smart enough to not issue build requests for the same project to multiple machines, would Maven stomp on itself?

Thanks!

Jared

Jared Richardson
Jared.Richardson@sas.com
919-531-9136
http://www.sas.com
SAS... The Power to Know(r)

Re: Clustered Maven?

Posted by Rick Mangi <rm...@yahoo.com>.
Not really a newbie question at all... actually a very interesting
question.

I don't believe there is any built in functionality for this but you
could definitely do it with a set of shell scripts and rsh. Many many
years ago I did a similar thing with make files,  rsh to spawn the
builds onto the remote machines and expect to analyze the output. It
worked amazingly well spawning nightly builds on a dozen different OS
flavors, correlating the output into a master build report.

Rick

RE: Clustered Maven?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Jared,

No this is something that would sit on top of Maven. Currently Maven does
not provide the continuous build loop. For this you can use CruiseControl,
Gump, DamageControl, etc. Some of these tools support the build queue
concept. In the future Maven will have its own continuous build (it's in
development and called Continuum).

>From an architecture standpoint, I would prefer to let the different build
machines grab a build job. It's hard for a central point to know the state
of the different build machines whereas the machine itself is the best to
know its state. This allows to mix machines with different CPUs, RAM,
processors, etc.

See
http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/vmassol/archives/000937_unbreakable_builds.
html to see what I mean (forget the unbreakable part as this is not our
topic here - just look at the build queue and the machines).

Thanks
-Vincent