Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Rajesh Khan <ra...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/29 21:27:59 UTC

Suggestions for a high frequency Message Sender

I wanted some suggestions for a high speed sender which will be sending
about thousands of messages in less than 3 seconds.
Here are some of things that I believe should be done please let me know in
case I am missing something.

1) I know that the sender capacity should be kept high =>
sender.capacity(8000);
2) Send messages asynch. In C++ i believe that is default.

Is it possible to send messages in batches ? how would that be implemented ?

Re: Suggestions for a high frequency Message Sender

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 12/02/2012 06:50 PM, Rajesh Khan wrote:
> Hi Gordon in your previous email you stated that
>
> "However the IO thread can do some batching"
>
> Are we allowed to control threads of QPID ?

No, not at present.

> Could you tell me what the IO
> thread in QPID is and how I could get some more information regarding this
> thread for C++ ?

The IO threads are managed by the library and handle to reading and
writing to the sockets underneath. In that they can aggregate several
messages into a single buffer for writing. However you can't really
control that in any way from the application.

Re: Suggestions for a high frequency Message Sender

Posted by Rajesh Khan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gordon in your previous email you stated that

"However the IO thread can do some batching"

Are we allowed to control threads of QPID ? Could you tell me what the IO

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 11/29/2012 08:27 PM, Rajesh Khan wrote:
> I wanted some suggestions for a high speed sender which will be sending
> about thousands of messages in less than 3 seconds.
> Here are some of things that I believe should be done please let me know in
> case I am missing something.
>
> 1) I know that the sender capacity should be kept high =>
> sender.capacity(8000);

A sender capacity of 8000 may even be a little high, but do some
benchmarking to tune for your case.

> 2) Send messages asynch. In C++ i believe that is default.
>
> Is it possible to send messages in batches ? how would that be implemented ?

No, there is no API for batching messages. However the IO thread can do
some batching. Thousands of messages a second shouldn't really be a problem.