Posted to dev@buildr.apache.org by Ketan Padegaonkar <ke...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/18 17:29:55 UTC

Reducing the dependency footprint of buildr

Buildr currently pulls in quite a few dependencies that it could
probably do without in the runtime.

rspec, rubyforge being a few of these dependencies that buildr coud do
without. rubygems has a new nifty thing that lets one add dev-time
dependencies, which buildr could use. See [1] for an example.

[1]
http://github.com/ketan/buildr4eclipse/blob/5fba27e0444fe8f87554b0da1bc29eee6e5015fd/buildr4eclipse.gemspec

-- Ketan

Re: Reducing the dependency footprint of buildr

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Ketan Padegaonkar <
ketanpadegaonkar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Buildr currently pulls in quite a few dependencies that it could
> probably do without in the runtime.
>
> rspec, rubyforge being a few of these dependencies that buildr coud do
> without. rubygems has a new nifty thing that lets one add dev-time
> dependencies, which buildr could use. See [1] for an example.

RSpec is actually offered by Buildr as a testing framework[1], and also used
for build checking [2].

RubyForge is there to allow packaging Gems and uploading them to the
rubyforge.org server, as a way to distribute Buildr extensions that are
themselves packaged/managed with Buildr.

The development dependencies we use in addition to the runtime dependencies
are Docter, Allison and win32console. These are installed when you run rake
setup. The new RubyGems feature is awesome, but a lot of people do install
Buildr with older versions of RubyGems, and would end up getting both
runtime and (unnecessary) development dependencies, so for now to install
development dependencies you have to separately run rake setup.

Assaf

[1] http://buildr.apache.org/languages.html#testing_with_ruby
[2] http://buildr.apache.org/testing.html#testing_your_build