Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Marc Boorshtein <mb...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/22 12:50:23 UTC

[Servser] SSL Support?

I thought I read somewhere that apacheds supports SSL (in the ldap listener)
with Java 5, but I can't find any docs. How is this setup?

Thanks
Marc

Re: [Servser] SSL Support?

Posted by Nick Faiz <ni...@gmail.com>.
Id like to know too. I had thought it wasn't available.

Nick

Re: [Servser] SSL Support?

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
ApacheDS doesn't use MINA SSL support yet. There's a tutorial in wiki that
demonstrates the usage of SSLFilter and LoggingFilter.

http://wiki.apache.org/directory/MinaTutorial

Or you could simply browse the MINA Echo protocol server example:

http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/network/getting_started.html

Trustin

http://gleamynode.net/

Re: [Servser] SSL Support?

Posted by David Boreham <da...@bozemanpass.com>.
Marc Boorshtein wrote:

> It looks like MINA-111 adds support for SSL, but there are no docs on
> how to enable it.

We use SSL with ApacheDS inside the NT4 LDAP server
we ship with Fedora Directory Server. The source is open
(from memory we added one or two minor things to support
easy cert configuration). The ApacheDS/Mina code has probably
changed quite a bit since then though.

Re: [Servser] SSL Support?

Posted by Marc Boorshtein <mb...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Servser] SSL Support?

Posted by Marc Boorshtein <mb...@gmail.com>.
Well, it depends on your needs. If you are going to use public key
authentication, then yes you would need SASL. However if all you want is
transport level security then you only need to enable SSL (with a key&cert).
This way users are still authenticated using simple binds but the
communications are encrypted.

Re: [Servser] SSL Support?

Posted by David Boreham <da...@bozemanpass.com>.
Trustin Lee wrote:

> I thought SASL is required for LDAP to authenticate user in a secure
> way and LDAPS works with SASL only.  Am I misunderstanding?  Let me
> know.  I'm a novice in LDAP. :)

Nope, SASL and SSL are orthogonal (well, nearly).
If (and only if) you want to perform cert-based authentication in
a standard way, then you need to support the SASL-EXTERNAL
mechanism. But almost nobody needs this. Basic SSL does
not depend on SASL (and in fact SASL-EXTERNAL doesn't
really depend on SASL either ;)

Re: [Servser] SSL Support?

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.

http://gleamynode.net/