Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Bill Haneman <bi...@ireland.sun.com> on 2000/11/27 00:14:00 UTC

[build] build.xml proposal

Hi:

Until recently (when the build directories changed, etc.) I was
using "ant compile" rather than build.sh to do my builds.  Part of the
reason is that when on linux I have a 1.3 jre but only a 1.2 jdk, (the
1.3 jdk download was broken for a while, maybe it's fixed now).

Using the 1.2 jdk *and* 1.2 jre, it takes over 4 hours to build
batik on my linux box.  If I use the 1.3 jre (bin/java) and
set the classpath to the 1.2 jdk libs, that time drops to
just over 5 minutes.  So obviously I want to use the 1.3 jre.
(The batik apps run faster using the 1.3 jre also).

In my local setup I have changed build.sh a little, to use
JRE_HOME and JDK_HOME as separate environment variables.
If either is undefined I set it equal to JAVA_HOME,  so my build.sh
would work with no modification in a more usual environment
(e.g. when jdk and jre are matching revs).

My question is, do other people think I should commit this version
of build.sh ?  As I said, it will behave just like the current build.sh
unless you have set the JDK_HOME or JRE_HOME environment
variables before running the script.

-Bill

Bill Haneman
+1 353 1 849 0495