Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Tom Panfil <ta...@fastmail.fm> on 2020/07/14 16:32:13 UTC

Perhaps Uninterruptible Power Supplies Should be used with AOO for Non-Portable Computers

Hello AOO Users & Advisors,

For years I've routinely read reports from Open Office Users about
various problems.  Many are generally attributed to having shut down
one's computer too quickly, before shut down processes have been completed.

I've used OO and AOO for many years, both on Windows based computers and
on MacBook Pros.  I've never experienced *this* type of problem.  I
attribute that good fortune to three things:

  * Use of Uninterruptible Power Supplies with Desktop Computers.
  * Use of Laptop Computers which have immunity to power loss due to
    their internal batteries.
  * Very deliberate shut down processes:
      o Quit the Running Applications (at least all which involve my
        user data)
      o Log out of whatever LogIn Accounts have been in use (generally
        just one)
      o Shutdown the computer

I think that AC Power Failures which cause sudden shutdowns are the
cause of many AOO Problems.

Should the AOO Installation site STRONGLY recommend the use of
Uninterruptible power Supplies with non-laptop computers?

Users might be unhappy with paying for UPSes, but they are a small
expense relative to the pain of serious data loss and corruption of
profiles.

--
*v/r,
                Tom Panfil

Re: Saving documents (was: Perhaps UPSs should be used ...]

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 16:56 14/07/2020 -0400, Dan Lewis wrote:
>It is also important to save all documents on a regular basis.

True.

>Tools > Options > Load/Save > General has options that will you
>should consider using. Just make sure to limit the number of minutes to 4 of 5.

Useful though this facility is, it is important that readers are not
misled by this suggestion. Like all sensible applications, OpenOffice
saves document files only when the user asks for this to happen -
using Save or Save As or by selecting Save from the options provided
when a modified document is closed without having been saved. This is
important, so that a user may choose, after a period of editing, to
abandon all changes and close the document or session without
modifying the original document.

The option at Tools | Options... | Load/Save | General | Save | Save
AutoRecovery information every ... Minutes has another purpose. If it
is ticked, information about the current editing session is salted
away regularly - but separately from the actual document file. This
information is deleted automatically if a session is terminated
normally. Its purpose is instead to deal with program or system
crashes or power outages. In these circumstances an offer is made,
when OpenOffice is next started, to recover editing changes made in
the aborted session as far as possible.

Brian Barker

Re: Perhaps Uninterruptible Power Supplies Should be used with AOO for Non-Portable Computers

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.
It is also important to save all documents on a regular basis. Tools >
Options > Load/Save > General has options that will you should consider
using. Just make sure to limit the number of minutes to 4 of 5.

Dan

Posted by Steven Ahlers <sa...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Ron,

Something I neglected in my original response is frequent backups. In OSX there is a built in app, TimeMachine, that regularly (to whatever frequency you want) backs up files to external storage. I use an external 1 TB hard drive for frequent saves (15-30 minute intervals) then a cloud backup for less frequent (daily to weekly).

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Ron Tanguay <sa...@shaw.ca>.
Leon,

Posted by Leon Zar <le...@gmail.com>.