Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Wilbur, Charlton" <cw...@iso-ne.com> on 2002/07/31 19:41:57 UTC

silent failure still a problem in mod_perl 2.0?

Kyle Dawkins writes:

> I'd betcha your problem is almost certainly caused by your use of DSOs. If
> you *really* want to prune your system down to see where your bug is, then
> build apache and mod_perl statically.  There was a very well-known bug
that
> caused DBI to segfault if it was run under a DSO.   Please rebuild your
> binary and then let us know if that was the problem.

I just ran into the silent-failure problem again today, when a sysadmin
unknowingly upgraded glibc underneath mod_perl built as a DSO.
Unfortunately, it was on a production system; fortunately, it was not on a
very important production system, and rebuilding the tools fixed the
problem.

In anticipation of the postmortem meeting, I'm trying to find out if this
problem still exists in mod_perl 2.0.  Websearches have been  fruitless; any
pe[a]rls of wisdom from the list?

Charlton